I know this isn’t a travel book per se, but it’s a great book for kids (ages 4-8). It’s also co-written by a friend of mine, Cynthia Wylie. “Bloomers Island: The Great Garden Party” is a beautifully illustrated new book aimed at getting kids to love everything about nature.
This is how Amazon describes the book: “Join the Bloomers on a whimsical adventure as they attend a magical boarding school on Bloomers Island. As Pete Moss, Rosey Posey, Big Red, Violet, and their friends prepare for the Great Garden Party, they learn about gardening, healthy eating, and caring for the environment. The treehouse school is held by the arms of Mr. Banyan, a tree about to celebrate his 200th birthday. His birthday party is filled with fun games that teach the curious students that gardening is not at all boring or hard―that it’s actually really fun!”
Cynthia was raised on a farm in Western Pennsylvania and she came up with the idea of “Bloomers” as she was raising her own children and trying to get them to eat their vegetables. “One day, I made up little garden characters I called the ‘Bloomers’ who lived in a mythical place called Bloomers Island, where they would grow their own food and eat only vegetables. When my children would visit the family farm they would look for the ‘Bloomers’ while digging up potatoes and laughing with delight in discovery. Naturally, they always ate the vegetables they harvested.”
She continues, “After working with thousands of children in our school gardening programs, I observed that over 90% of the students will eat a vegetable if they’ve grown it – even children who had never eaten a vegetable! I learned three important things about gardening with children: 1. It had to be fun for the kids, or they wouldn’t do it; 2. It had to be easy for the grownups, or they wouldn’t do it; and 3. There had to be some mystery involved so everyone would want to do it. The Bloomers’ gardening products took care of 1 and 2 pretty easily. But, how did I put the mystery into it? Simple, I created the Bloomers who lived on a mythical island, deep in the South Pacific so far away that no human had ever set sight on it.”
Visit her website at CynthiaWylie.com.
Grab it: Grab “Bloomers Island: The Great Garden Party” on Amazon for $12.32.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.