I just read a tweet on Twitter, which brought me to tears. Ed Asner posted: “My heart is broken. Gavin was my brother, my partner in crime (and food) and my comic conspirator. I will see you in a bit Gavin. Tell the gang I will see them in a bit. Betty! It’s just you and me now.” He shared this photo of the two of them.
My heart is broken. Gavin was my brother, my partner in crime (and food) and my comic conspirator. I will see you in a bit Gavin. Tell the gang I will see them in a bit. Betty! It’s just you and me now. pic.twitter.com/se4fwh7G1G
— Ed Asner (@TheOnlyEdAsner) May 29, 2021
In my heart, I hoped it wasn’t true but I quickly did a search and found a Hollywood Reporter story confirming: “Gavin MacLeod, Star of ‘The Love Boat’ and ‘The Mary Tyler Moore Show,’ Dies at 90.”
I’ve been fortunate to meet Gavin a couple of times, all thanks to Princess Cruises (here’s my post from their Love Boat cast reunion) and he was truly a nice man and a gentleman. I think I was brought to tears because I grew up watching The Love Boat and it had a huge impact on me and played a part in inspiring me to travel for a living. Gavin was a father figure of sorts, teaching us right vs. wrong through the TV series.
He was just a couple of years younger than my dad and I remember both of them casually talking together at a lunch table for a long time and really hitting it off. I had a feeling that my dad had no idea who he was while they were chatting, so I told him afterwards. He said, “I never watched that show but what a nice man.” That’s exactly what he was. Thank you, Gavin for the lessons, the inspiration, and the memories.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.