Amid growing concerns about a new variant of the coronavirus, the US government, along with Canada, the United Kingdom and the European Union, is imposing travel restrictions on travel from eight African nations.
The countries include South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Lesotho and Eswatini. This comes following the World Health Organization calling the new variant a variant of concern and naming it Omicron.
According to the New York Times, the travel restrictions will not apply to American citizens or lawful permanent residents. “But they will need to show a negative coronavirus test before coming to the United States.”
The Biden administration is reported to have consulted with South African scientists this morning before making the announcement and the government says they will continue to liaise with international health officials to learn more about the new variant and the risk it poses.
Below is an example of the chaos this is causing, not only for future travelers, but present ones too, including flight crew.
WATCH: Passengers on South African flight not allowed to get off in Amsterdam amid concern about new COVID variant; testing and quarantine expected pic.twitter.com/iTnaeYaVim
— BNO Newsroom (@BNODesk) November 26, 2021
This is a developing story.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 03/31/22.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.