Bridie Wilkins (bridiewilkins)
An article in Travel + Leisure caught my attention this week. It was titled “How a 23-Year-Old Saves $800 a Month for Luxury Vacations.” In the story, a 23-year-old fashion blogger from London named Bridie Wilkins revealed that she skimps on just about everything in her life, including on food and daily transportation, just so she can afford to travel the world in style. I’m not saying that her approach is healthy or that other people should do it, but what her example does show is that where there’s a will, there’s a way. If you follow her on Instagram maybe she can be some kind of inspiration or motivation.
I’m always trying to figure out ways to afford travel and I have been for the last 20 years. Some of my tricks include going out to fancy restaurants at lunch time or during restaurant weeks; not ordering appetizers, alcohol or dessert; using miles and points; and signing up to credit cards that have amazing perks and large sign-up bonuses. (Very important: Travel credit cards aren’t worth it if you can’t pay your bills on time as they often come with high APRs. But if you can, they’re a fantastic way to travel for cheap!)
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.