Silicon Valley: Mecca of tech—and soon, connected to London with non-stop Dreamliner service.
British Airways announced today that on May 4, 2016—about eight months from now—it will begin regularly scheduled direct flights between Mineta San José International Airport and London Heathrow. The service will make San José the fourth city in California to be served by British Airways, along with Los Angeles, San Francisco and San Diego. It will also be the first to connect the city of San José with the UK.
“San José and Silicon Valley tech companies have committed to Mineta San José International as being their airport of choice,” said San José Mayor Sam Liccardo, “and have expressed strong support for a direct flight to London for several years. The British Airways announcement to launch service between San José and London Heathrow will be well received by both business and leisure travelers in our region.”
The new route will be given serious lift by the 787-9 Dreamliner—the newest aircraft in British Airways’ fleet—which the airline will use for every flight between the cities. Among the highlights of the Dreamliner 787-9: a new First cabin (seating 14 in most, 17 in some), lower pressurization (which works out to less dry cabin air and less jetlag), “smooth ride technology” (which reduces turbulence), lighting that adjusts to reflect the time of day, and electronic dimming switches on each window.
Seats on the new routes will be available for booking tomorrow, August 27, and will start with the inaugural flights into and out of San José:
- BA279 (London-San José) will touch down in San José at 6:05 pm on May 4, 2016
- BA278 (San José-London) will depart San José two hours later, at 8:00 pm on May 4, 2016, arriving into London Heathrow Terminal 5 at 2:05 pm the next day
For more information on the new route, visit britishairways.com.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.