If you’re among the many that love the British TV show Downton Abbey and sad to see season six (and the show altogether) come to an end, British Airways has some good news (not another-season good, but alas). Through Saturday, March 12, the airline will be honoring the show by offering Downton Abbey-inspired packages on UK travel.
Namely: Book a roundtrip British Airways flight with five nights in the historical Langham hotel (included in our roundup of best afternoon tea spots in London)—starting at $2,059—and you’ll also enjoy a fine “Wedgewood Afternoon Tea” in the hotel’s elegant court. Other hotel options, at different price points, are available, as well.
Separately (or as an add-on to that trip) the airline is promoting an excursion from London to see the Downton village, which also includes Blenheim Palace and the picturesque Cotswolds, for as low as $79 per person. On the tour, travelers will be taken through the Cotswolds to the village of Bampton. They’ll see the church and the Churchgate House, which was used as the Crawley family home and the old Grammar School. (See terms and conditions below.)
“Downton Abbey represents everything that is quintessentially British, and you can’t get a more British start to a vacation in the UK than flying with British Airways,” said Simon Brooks, British Airways’ SVP Sales for North America. “From the teas we select to the traditional premium service style, our customers’ experience will start from the second they step foot on the aircraft.”
While the village of Downton in the TV show is set in Yorkshire, scenes are filmed all over England. Once you’ve booked a flight with BA to England, here are four iconic spots from the show that will take you back to the early 20th-century England world of Downton’s aristocratic family:
1. Highclere Castle, Hampshire
Come to see the beautiful gardens and Victorian castle, which served as the home to the characters. Downton author Julian Fellowes is close with the real-life castle dwellers. Fellowes said the series was created with this castle in mind. To book online, head here.
2. Bampton, Oxfordshire
This quaint village of 2,500 was the fictional Yorkshire location, where many of the exterior shots were filmed. The best-known building in this town is St. Mary’s Church, called St. Michael and All Angels on TV. Fore more information, head here.
3. Alnwick Castle, Northumberland
This castle will be easily remembered from the 2014 Christmas special of Downton Abbey. On the show, it was the Brancaster Castle. The building was also featured in the Harry Potter movies. Groups can request exclusive tours of the State Rooms. For more information, head here.
4. Witney, Oxfordshire
This was home to the Drewe family in seasons four and five. You’ll recognize the building’s kitchen and grounds from the show. For more information, head here.
Terms and conditions: Operates May 1 – September 30 on Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Guests have the option to purchase a Blenheim Palace entrance ticket on the day from the guide at a reduced group price. Tour does not include Highclere Castle.
For details on these and other special British Airways offers, visit BA’s special offers site.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.