Thanksgiving travel season officially begins tomorrow, and as you might expect, that means airports are about to see a huge spike in traffic. In fact, this Thanksgiving travel season will be the busiest ever.
Between tomorrow (November 22) and Monday, December 2, the TSA projects that 26.8 million passengers will pass through security checkpoints at U.S. airports. My colleague and #TravelSkills chat co-host Chris McGinnis, meanwhile, shared more details on the upcoming Thanksgiving travel season in a great post for SFGate. According to projections by the airline trade group Airlines for America (A4A), he says, “the Sunday after Thanksgiving (December 1) will be the single busiest U.S. air travel day in history, with 3.1 million passengers crowding onto planes…The busiest day after December 1 will be the day before Thanksgiving (November 27) with 2.98 million travelers, followed by Friday, November 22 at 2.96 million.”
Yes, 2.96 million expected flyers are headed to U.S. airports tomorrow. And in San Francisco, things will be especially bad. “San Francisco International Airport said this week,” writes Chris, “that it expects this Friday, November 22 to be its busiest travel day, with more than 171,000 passengers arriving and departing. Part of that surge is because Friday is the final day of the massive Dreamforce conference in downtown San Francisco when attendees will head home.”
How to survive Thanksgiving travel season
In the end, the best ways to prepare for the rush are to pack your patience and leave for the airport early. And don’t forget that if you have questions about what’s allowed in your carry-on, you can tweet them at the TSA. For even more help, see:
Have your own tip? Email it to email@example.com!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,585!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Enter your email address and check “Daily Travel Tip” to receive Johnny’s best tips in your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check “Daily Travel Tip” on the same page. You’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.