“On a recent round-trip in July, I was told by an American Airlines flight attendant that a face shield was considered a ‘face covering’ and would be adequate in lieu of a mask, but another flight attendant on the way home told me I had to use a mask, not a shield. I’ve left three messages with the airline, but no one has answered my question. Can you tell me if a shield can be used in lieu of a mask?” — Dru P.
Thanks, Dru, for the question. I’m 99.9% sure all passengers have to wear a mask whether they’re wearing a face shield or not. But I will contact American Airlines for you to confirm.
American Airlines’ response:
I contacted American via Twitter and their social media team was as quick as usual. In just a few minutes they came back and said:
“A face shield can be worn but with a face-covering too. The nose and mouth must also be covered underneath the face shield.”
As I suspected, a face shield doesn’t replace a face mask. Not only has American Airlines has cracked down, but so have all major U.S. airlines, major hotel chains, Disney World, McDonald’s and even southeastern grocery store Winn-Dixie, which flipped their stance once Donald Trump tweeted that it’s patriotic to wear a face mask. Expect others to follow suit if they haven’t already.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.