“On a recent round-trip in July, I was told by an American Airlines flight attendant that a face shield was considered a ‘face covering’ and would be adequate in lieu of a mask, but another flight attendant on the way home told me I had to use a mask, not a shield. I’ve left three messages with the airline, but no one has answered my question. Can you tell me if a shield can be used in lieu of a mask?” — Dru P.
Thanks, Dru, for the question. I’m 99.9% sure all passengers have to wear a mask whether they’re wearing a face shield or not. But I will contact American Airlines for you to confirm.
American Airlines’ response:
I contacted American via Twitter and their social media team was as quick as usual. In just a few minutes they came back and said:
“A face shield can be worn but with a face-covering too. The nose and mouth must also be covered underneath the face shield.”
As I suspected, a face shield doesn’t replace a face mask. Not only has American Airlines has cracked down, but so have all major U.S. airlines, major hotel chains, Disney World, McDonald’s and even southeastern grocery store Winn-Dixie, which flipped their stance once Donald Trump tweeted that it’s patriotic to wear a face mask. Expect others to follow suit if they haven’t already.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.