The first night of my Singapore trip our hosts took us for dinner at a restaurant called Candlenut Kitchen that was located in a budget hotel in a residential area. I thought it was weird until I got the back story, met the chef and saw that all the patrons were locals not tourists. Self-trained chef Malcolm Lee is both owner and chef of the restaurant which serves Peranakan cuisine with a modern twist. Peranakan is unique to Singapore and is the result of intermarriages between the local Malays and immigrants from China and India. As a result, the culture and food of these ethnicities has come together to create a heady melting pot of cultural flavors using a blend of spices, curries and herbs. One of the dishes he called both rat tail and snot noodle because of shape. It was delicious but I told him the chef he needs to come up with a better name. For dessert my friend Sandra, a vegetarian, had Chef Lee’s homemade sesame ice cream which tasted like peanut butter. That alone is worth a visit.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.