This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
The list of the best Capital One credit cards for travel is already nicely packed. Now, the Capital One credit card portfolio is a little larger. Both the Capital One Walmart Mastercard and the Walmart Rewards Card earn up to 5% back on Walmart purchases. It’s also possible to earn bonus rewards on travel and dining. You can redeem your points for travel, cash, and gift card rewards as well.
Capital One started accepting new applications on September 24, 2019. Current Synchrony Bank Walmart credit cardholders begin earning the new 5-2-1 rewards on October 11, 2019.
Capital One Walmart Mastercard
The new Capital One Walmart card portfolio features one rewards credit card and one store charge card.
The credit card is the Capital One Walmart Mastercard. It has no annual fee or foreign transaction fee. It’s possible to earn up to 5% back on every purchase:
- 5% back on Walmart.com, Walmart Grocery Pickup and Delivery
- 5% back on in-store Walmart purchases using Walmart Pay (first 12 months only)
- 2% back on in-store Walmart purchases (after the first 12 months)
- 2% back on travel and dining
- 1% back on everything else
Your points are redeemable for travel, gift cards, and cash rewards. Previous Walmart credit cards only let you redeem rewards points for Walmart credits.
The introductory offer for new and current cardholders earn an extra 3% back on in-store Walmart purchases (5% total) for the first 12 months. Existing cardholders get 5% back through October 14, 2020.
You will have the best approval odds for this card with a 670 credit score or higher. However, you might be able be approved with a score in the low to mid-600s.
Redeem Points for Travel, Gift Cards or Cash?
This card earns 2% back on travel and dining purchases. You can also redeem your points for travel or gift cards plus Walmart purchases. The travel and gift card redemptions can be a good option if your points are worth at least 1 cent each. If worth less than 1 cent for non-Walmart rewards, redeem your points for Walmart credit.
Your Walmart cash rewards options include Walmart.com credit and recent purchase statement credits.
Pro tip: If travel rewards are something that interests you, check out the best travel credit cards for other options.
Walmart Rewards Card
The Walmart Rewards Card is a store charge card and only works for Walmart purchases.
The rewards program is almost identical to the Walmart Mastercard credit card. However, you get 2% back at Walmart Fuel Stations instead of travel and dining.
- 5% back on Walmart.com and Walmart Grocery Pickup and Delivery
- 5% back on in-store Walmart purchases with Walmart Pay (for the first 12 months)
- 2% back on in-store Walmart purchases (after the first 12 months)
- 2% back at Walmart Fuel Stations
- No annual fee
Although this card doesn’t work outside of Walmart, on-time payments can still build your credit score.
As the war on physical cash continues, retailers are increasingly promoting the use of digital payment apps. In this instance, Walmart Pay is the go-to payment app.
You will need the app to get 5% back on in-store purchases during the first 12 months with either card.
Are the Capital One Walmart Credit Cards Worth It?
Both of these cards are the easiest way to earn some of the highest bonuses at Walmart. Earning up to 5% back can be good if you buy groceries and other household staples at Walmart. But if Walmart.com and Walmart Grocery Pickup services are a tiny part of your monthly spending, another card can be better.
Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
The Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card earns unlimited 2x miles on every purchase. You can redeem your miles for travel statement credits, book upcoming travel, or transfer to airline partners. Plus, you a Global Entry or TSA PreCheck fee credit, which helps make this one of the best metal credit cards.
There is a $95 annual fee but you don’t have to worry about foreign transaction fees.
New Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card cardholders can earn 100,000 bonus miles after spending $20,000 on purchases in the first 12 months from account opening, or earn 50,000 miles after spending $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months.
Learn more: Travel Rewards Credit Cards
Both Capital One Walmart credit cards make it easy to earn bonus points on every Walmart purchase. These can be a good option if you spend most of your money at Walmart. If not, a flexible cash rewards card (such as the best cash back credit cards 2019) or one of the best travel credit cards with no annual fees can provide more purchase power.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.