This week marked a major milestone for the Carnival Corporation, as its newest brand Fathom was approved by the Cuban government to operate seven-day sailings from the US to Cuba starting in May 2016. This news marks the first time in more than 50 years that a cruise operator has been approved to travel from the US to Cuba. The “social impact” brand received approval from the US government in July 2015. Cuba’s approval was the last legal obstacle before service can begin.
“We are excited about Cuban approval and are ready to take travelers there through an extraordinary guest experience,” said Arnold Donald, CEO of Carnival Corporation. “This is a historic opportunity, and we know there is pent-up demand amongst Americans who want to experience Cuba. Everyone who sails with Fathom to Cuba will have a very special, rewarding and enriching experience [the] brand.”
The seven-day itinerary to Cuba on the 704-passenger ship MV Adonia will sail to Havana, Cienfuegos and Santiago de Cuba. Guests will be offered cultural experiences and immersion activities including Cuban music as well as Cuban-inspired menu options.
Special onboard programing will include learning Cuban history, culture and even learning Spanish. We’ve written about the onboard experience and sample itinerary here.
The first seven-day itinerary will begin May 1 and include Havana first for two days, then a day of traveling. Next it will be Cienfuegos for a day and Santiago de Cuba on the fifth day, followed by travel days en route back to Miami. The ship will depart Port Miami on Sundays at 4:30 pm ET and return back home to Port Miami at 7:30 am ET the following Sunday.
Prices start at $1,800 per person excluding Cuban visas, taxes, fees, and port expenses and including all meals on the ship, onboard experiences and several on-the ground activities.
This is a sponsored post. All opinions expressed are my own. For more on Fathom or to book a cruise, call 1-855-9FATHOM or visit fathom.org.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.