How many times have you found yourself with unused local currency after a trip? When it happens (it happens to all of us), your options are usually to:
- Change the currency back to USD or your home currency at an airport exchange desk
- Gift the currency to someone you know traveling to the same place
- Keep the currency/do nothing and absorb the loss
Well, now there’s another option. CashSwap is a free app for Android that connects travelers at the same airport looking to exchange money before or after a trip. Instead of relying on a bank exchange rate, which is usually not a great deal, CashSwap users can match with users looking for the currency that you’re getting rid of. Because CashSwap is not a bank, the exchange rate available on its peer-to-peer platform is generally better than what you’ll find at a traditional airport desk. The app charges only a flat $3.99 fee per transaction. And CashSwap estimates that its service saves users an average of nearly 30% per transaction.
Here’s how it works, once you’ve registered (for free):
- Open the app and let the app determine the airport you’re in
- Enter the currency you want to exchange and the currency you want to get back
- Enter how much you want to exchange
- Pay the flat $3.99 fee
- Select an offer to exchange local currency and arrange to message with your match to find a place at the airport to meet (the app will offer suggestions for safety)
There’s a limit of $2,000 USD in exchanges per person per day, but it’s hard to imagine that you’d hit that limit often.
Where CashSwap works
CashSwap currently works in 12 U.S. airports:
- Atlanta (ATL)
- Chicago O’Hare (ORD)
- Denver (DEN)
- Dallas-Ft. Worth (DFW)
- Houston (IAH)
- Indianapolis (IDN)
- Las Vegas (LAS)
- Los Angeles (LAX)
- Miami (MIA)
- Newark (EWR)
- Orlando (MCO)
- San Francisco (SFO)
How to exchange leftover currency with CashSwap, in video
Here’s more on how easy it is to exchange leftover currency with CashSwap:
More on spending money abroad
- A New Way to Track Airfares and Save Money
- Watch Out for High Fees at These ATMs in Europe
- The Service That Gets You Money Back for Hotel Room Price Changes
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.