This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
If you own the personal or business American Express Platinum Card, your access to the Centurion Lounge network is going to be limited starting March 22, 2019. On this date, you will only be able to access Centurion locations within three hours of your original scheduled departure time.
Upcoming Centurion Lounge Policy Changes
The Centurion Lounge is a frequent flyer favorite to rest and regenerate. While most travelers won’t be able to visit a lounge after they reach their final destination, they can still visit a lounge before the initial flight or a connecting flight.
If you visit a lounge to recharge before a meeting or while waiting for friends to arrive on another flight, you will need to find an alternative location beginning March 22. Until then, you can continue visiting Centurion Lounges before and after you arrive.
A recent American Express Statement details the upcoming changes:
Beginning on March 22, 2019,
The Centurion Lounge will welcome Platinum Card Members who arrive within 3 hours or less prior to their original scheduled departure time or can provide proof of a connecting flight. Card Members who arrive at the Centurion Lounge as their final destination will no longer be permitted entry.
Children under 2 years of age will be admitted free of charge and will not count towards Platinum Card Member’s 2 complimentary guest count, so long as they are accompanied by a parent or guardian who is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age.
These Centurion Lounge changes don’t apply if you own the American Express Centurion Card. Only the personal and business Platinum cardmembers are affected by these changes.
Exciting Centurion Lounge Additions
This is going to be an exciting year for the Centurion Lounge as you will have more locations to visit. In fact, there are 14 airports hosting a lounge.
Centurion Lounge locations include Charlotte, NC, and London-Heathrow. The Heathrow lounge opens later in 2019 and will be the second international Centurion location.
Several existing Centurion Lounge locations have undergone recent remodels. Dallas-Fort Worth is now open again. The Miami Centurion Lounge and Las Vegas location are undergoing temporary closures starting January 14, 2019. In March, the Seattle Centurion Lounge will temporarily close for upgrades.
Most lounges are open from 5 am until 10 pm, local airport time. Of course, each lounge can have slightly different schedules. If you catch the red-eye to save a buck, relaxing in the lounge can be a decent consolation.
Lounges offer free locally-inspired food and drinks that put most other airport lounge networks to shame. For instance, the San Francisco lounge has a Napa Valley wine tasting area.
You can also catch up on work with free wifi and dedicated workspaces. Plus, there are computer bars and print, copy, and fax services. You can even unwind at the on-site spa and shower suite.
Accessing the Centurion Lounge
Access to any Centurion Lounge is free when you own one of these cards:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
- American Express Centurion Card
The primary cardholder and two guests can enter for free. For Platinum cardholders, children under two years old don’t count as one of the two free guests. Centurion cardholders can bring their immediate family (including children younger than 18) for free.
Additional guests can gain entry with a $50 one-day pass for each guest. The guest must accompany the Platinum or Centurion member to be admitted.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.