This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
If you’re like most people, your grocery budget is larger than your restaurant budget these days. You might not know that it’s possible to earn 3, 5, or 6 points per $1 spent at grocery stores on many of the co-brand Chase credit cards and Sapphire family. This new opportunity makes it possible to still earn travel miles while staying at home. Here’s what you need to know about the Chase credit cards grocery bonus.
How the Chase Credit Cards Grocery Bonus Works
You can earn up to 6x bonus points or miles at grocery stores from May 1, 2020, to June 30, 2020, with personal Chase credit cards that earn travel rewards. Qualifying grocery purchases include:
- In-store grocery purchases (excludes discount stores like Walmart and Target)
- Online order for pickup or delivery
- Grocery delivery services
Chase awards the enhanced bonus on the first $1,500 in monthly grocery purchases. You will earn 1 point per $1 on all remaining grocery purchases for the month.
American Express is offering enhanced bonus categories for 2020 as well. Some of their cards earn bonus points at grocery stores too.
Below are the cards that qualify for this promotion. You don’t have to activate this offer.
6x Bonvoy Points
The American Express and Chase Marriott Bonvoy credit cards earn 6 Bonvoy points per $1 on the first $5,000 spent from May 1, 2020, to July 31, 2020. As you can tell, this bonus offer is separate from the rest of the Chase credit cards.
Chase issues these Marriott Bonvoy credit cards:
- Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card
- Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ Credit Card
Learn more: Hotel Rewards Credit Cards
5x Points or Miles
The premium Chase credit cards earn 5 miles or points at grocery stores. This bonus applies to the first $1,500 in May and the first $1,500 you spend in June. All remaining grocery spend earns the standard rate.
- Chase Sapphire Reserve®
- United Club Card
- United Club℠ Infinite Card
- The United Presidential Plus
The United credit cards earn MileagePlus miles and the Chase Sapphire Reserve earns Ultimate Rewards points.
3x Points or Miles
Most of the Chase travel credit cards fall into the 3x bonus points category.
If you want to earn Ultimate Rewards points, only the Chase Sapphire Reserve (5x points) and Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card (3x points) earn points. The Freedom card family doesn’t earn bonus points from this promotion. Even the Disney Premier Visa earns 3% Disney rewards dollars on groceries.
Here are the cards earning 3x points or miles on eligible grocery purchases:
- Chase Sapphire Preferred
- Aer Lingus Visa Signature® Credit Card
- British Airways Visa Signature® Card
- Disney® Premier Visa® Card
- Hyatt Credit Card (no longer accepting new applications)
- World of Hyatt Credit Card
- Iberia Visa Signature® Card
- IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card
- IHG Rewards Club Select (no longer accepting new applications)
- The Southwest Rapid Rewards Employee
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card
- The Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card
- United℠ Explorer Card
- United MileagePlus
- The United MileagePlus Award
- United MileagePlus Select
As you can see, it’s possible to earn Hyatt points, Avios, Rapid Rewards points, and United MileagePlus miles with this special Chase credit cards grocery bonus.
This bonus makes it easier to qualify for the Southwest Companion Pass in 2020. All points you earn from Southwest credit card purchases count toward the annual point requirement. Instead of earning 1x points at supermarkets, you get 3x points. You only need to earn 100,000 qualifying points in 2020 to get the pass.
Earning a Southwest Airlines credit card signup bonus with one of the best Southwest credit cards also counts toward the annual point requirement.
This is the first credit card purchase promotion that Chase is extending to most credit cards. You can start earning bonus points right away as no activation is necessary. This Chase credit cards grocery bonus makes these cards some of the best credit cards for grocery purchases.
- What is credit card pre-approval?
- Best Ways to Earn Airline Miles
- Chase Credit Card Combo That Earns the Most Rewards
- Best Cash Back Credit Card Offers
- Guide to Sapphire Sapphire Application Rules
- Chase 5/24 Rule
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.