This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
The Chase Freedom Flex℠ is beloved by many as you can earn up to 5% cash back on daily purchases and easily redeem for cash or travel rewards. In addition to the rotating 5% quarterly bonus categories, you can earn on your top-spend. For a limited time, cardmembers who activate their Q4 bonus categories will automatically earn 5% total cash back (4% in addition to their unlimited 1% cash back) on up to $1,500 in the eligible rewards category where they spend the most through December 31, 2021.
There are a few ways to get 9% cash back with this bonus too. Here are the details of this top spend category bonus.
5% Top Spend Category Bonus
For the 4th quarter of 2021, the Chase Freedom Flex is offering a top-spend bonus category that can earn a total of 5% back (1% cash back base plus 4% bonus cash back per $1).
This offer is separate from your quarterly bonus category offer but automatically added to your account when you activate your Q4 bonus categories.
This bonus applies to the first $1,500 in top-spend purchases from October 1, 2021, to December 31, 2021. All remaining purchases earn the standard cashback rate of 1%-5%.
As a reminder, the Chase Freedom Flex earns:
- 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate (then 1% back)
- 5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 3% cash back on dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery services
- 3% cash back on drugstore purchases
- 1% on all other purchases
No Enrollment is Necessary
You’re automatically eligible for this promotion when you activate the 5% 4th quarter bonus categories for Walmart and PayPal purchases.
You have until December 15, 2021, to opt-in to the quarterly bonus categories.
Top-Spend Rewards Categories
You will earn up to 4% cash back per $1 (5% cash back total) on one of these categories:
- Travel (including transit)
- Home improvement stores
- Grocery stores (not including Target or Walmart purchases)
- Gas stations
- Live entertainment (select purchases only)
- Streaming services (select purchases only)
- Fitness clubs
Chase will automatically determine which rewards category earns the bonus cash back at the end of the 4th quarter. You can get more details about eligible purchases in these categories here.
Some of these purchases already earn bonus rewards, and you can earn the top-spend bonus too. For example, dining or drugstore purchases can earn 7% cash back instead of the standard 3% cash back payout.
Travel purchases through Chase Ultimate Rewards will earn 9% cash back instead of the usual 5% cash back. So, for example, 1% base earned on every purchase + 4% bonus earned on Travel booked through Chase Ultimate Rewards + 4% bonus earned on top spend category = 9% total cash back.
If you happen to be a new cardmember with the limited-time 5% grocery store bonus, you will receive 9% back during the fourth quarter.
An added bonus is paying for purchases in the reward category with PayPal to double-dip and earn 9% cash back on the first $1,500 in qualifying purchases (and then a total of 5% on the remaining purchases for that category).
This Chase Freedom Flex top spend category bonus offer is an easy way to earn the highest bonus rates on purchases. There are several rewards categories where you can easily reach the $1,500 spend threshold. This promotion is easy to maximize.
- The Best Chase Credit Cards For Travel
- The Best Limited-Time Credit Card Offers
- How Hard Is It To Get The Chase Freedom Flex Card?
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.