This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
The Chase Sapphire Reserve® is getting new benefits update and not losing any current perks. But its annual fee is also increasing to start off 2020. Let’s take a look at everything that’s changing.
New Chase Sapphire Reserve Benefits Update
Lyft users will benefit from the most from the new travel perks. All of these new benefits become available on January 12, 2020, for all new and current cardmembers of the Chase Sapphire Reserve®.
One Free Year of Lyft Pink
Lyft Pink is a relatively new premium membership service Lyft offers its U.S. riders. Membership regularly costs $19.99 per month and all Sapphire Reserve members get one year of free access.
That’s an annual upfront savings of $239.88. You can enjoy these Lyft perks:
- 15% off all Lyft rides in the US
- Free bike and scooter rentals in select US cities (3 free 30-minute rentals each month)
- Priority airport pickups
- Up to 3 waived cancellation fees per month
- Waived lost and found return fees
You can also receive special Lyft Pink member discounts. Sample discounts include premium mode discounts (i.e., Lux or XL), seasonal offers, and partner offers.
Earn 10x Ultimate Rewards on Lyft Purchases
All Lyft purchases earn 10 Ultimate Rewards per $1 spent. Rideshares from Lyft competitors will continue to earn 3x Ultimate Rewards like all other travel and dining purchases. Note that the 3x points for travel don’t go into effect until cardholders have spent $300 on travel.
$60 in DoorDash Credits
You will receive $60 in annual DoorDash credits for 2020 and a second $60 credit for 2021. If you use DoorDash to deliver food to your home, office, or hotel room, this credit can reduce your dining budget. Chase will automatically apply these credits to your first DoorDash purchases each year.
Food delivery app purchases like DoorDash also earn 3x Ultimate Rewards points as Chase considers them a “dining” purchase.
One Free Year of DoorDash DashPass
This perk was announced shortly before the various Chase Sapphire Reserve benefit updates. All Chase Sapphire Reserve cardholders get 12 months of free DoorDash DashPass.
Normally you pay $9.99 per month for a DashPass. This perk waives the $4-$5 delivery fee on orders of at least $12.
$550 Annual Fee
Alright, now let’s cover the bad news. The Chase Sapphire Reserve® annual fee is now $550.
The signup bonus remains 50,000 bonus Ultimate Rewards points after spending $4,000 in the first 3 months. This bonus is worth up to $750 in award travel.
Related Article: Credit Score Needed for the Chase Sapphire Reserve
$450 Annual Fee for Some Existing Cardholders
It’s possible the annual fee will remain $450 for some existing cardholders. The new $550 annual fee doesn’t take effect for current Chase Sapphire Reserve® members until April 1, 2020. If your card renews during the 1st quarter, it will renew at $450 yet you still have access to the new Lyft and DoorDash benefits.
Your annual fee will be $550 if your card renewal date is on or after April 1, 2020.
If you don’t want to pay the higher $550 annual fee, you can contact Chase. You will need to request to downgrade to a Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card. Your annual fee will be $95 instead.
You can compare the Chase Sapphire Reserve vs Chase Sapphire Preferred review to find out which is best for you.
Existing Chase Sapphire Reserve Benefits
All Chase Sapphire Reserve cardmembers will continue to enjoy these Chase Sapphire Reserve perks and benefits:
- $300 annual travel credit
- Priority Pass Select airport lounge access
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck application fee credit
- 50% award travel redemption bonus
- 1:1 airline and hotel point transfers
- Primary rental car insurance
- Trip cancellation/interruption insurance of up to $20,000 per trip
Summary of the Chase Sapphire Reserve Benefits Update
The Chase Sapphire Reserve is still one of the best premium travel credit cards. However, a $100 annual fee increase should make anyone reevaluate if the benefit upgrades are worth the extra cost. If you love Lyft and DoorDash, the new perks can be an easy win to score more travel and dining rewards.
Learn more: Chase Sapphire Reserve Review
What is the new Chase Sapphire Reserve annual fee?
The new annual fee for the Chase Sapphire Reserve® is $550.
This new fee goes into effect on January 12, 2020, for all new card accounts. Existing cardholders will pay the new fee when their card renewal is on or after April 1, 2020.
What are the Chase Sapphire Reserve Lyft benefits?
All Chase Sapphire Reserve cardholders will get these Lyft benefits starting January 12, 2020:
- One free year of Lyft Pink ($19.99 monthly savings)
- Earn 10 Ultimate Rewards per $1 on Lyft purchases
What are the Chase Sapphire Reserve DoorDash benefits?
The new Chase Sapphire Reserve DoorDash benefits are:
- Annual $60 credit on DoorDash purchases ($60 in 2020 and $60 in 2021)
- One free year of DoorDash DashPass
- Best Credit Cards for Dining and Restaurants 2020
- 4 Easy Ways I Earned 200,000 Chase Sapphire Reserve Points in a Year
- Does the Chase Sapphire Preferred Offer Lounge Access?
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.