This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
On a recent trip to Santiago, Chile, my connecting flight from Dallas to Santiago was canceled. People were freaking out and it was complete pandemonium at the gate. Since I always book through Ultimate Rewards and pay for my trips with Chase Sapphire Reserve®, I knew there was nothing to worry about (other than missing my first 24 hours in Chile!).
Chase Sapphire Reserve travel perks
Before American Airlines officially announced the flight was canceled, there were a ton of flight changes.
I knew it the bad news would continue, but I kept calm. Plus, because this trip had the travel goodness of Chase Sapphire Reserve all over it, I knew it’d be okay eventually.
On a travel day like this one, I took full advantage of the Chase Sapphire Reserve perks that come with being a cardholder.
How Chase Sapphire Reserve Saved the Day
I was covered with Chase Sapphire Reserve because my flight qualified for:
- A delay that was more than 12 hours and/or
- An overnight stay
I also qualified for Chase to cover reasonable expenses I may have incurred due to the cancelation. Examples of these expenses include:
- Hotel room
- A change of clothes
I saved all itemized receipts and used my American Airlines cancelation notification email as proof when I turned in the reimbursement paperwork online.
What I Itemized
After the flight cancelation was announced, American Airlines said they would not return checked luggage to passengers. Since my bag was checked, I decided to make a stop at the local drugstore to grab a toothbrush, toothpaste, lotion, shampoo and conditioner.
This required extra cab rides to the drugstore and hotel, so I also itemized this expense. I was also hungry, so I picked up a late dinner and some snacks for the next morning.
I was reimbursed for:
- Uber ride to the pharmacy and back to my hotel
- Dinner at a local restaurant
The Chase Sapphire Reserve Trip Delay Reimbursement Process
The easiest way to initiate a claim is to call the number on the back of your card (1-800-436-7970). You can also complete this online. I filled out a short form and included my personal and flight information.
In a nutshell, these were the steps I took so I could get reimbursed:
- I kept all of my receipts and took photos of them.
- Went to Chase’s reimbursement portal, eclaimsonline.com.
- I uploaded my receipts.
- Wait. (According to the site, I would get notified regarding next steps in about 7 days.)
If you choose to call, an agent will transfer you to a benefits representative who can walk you through the steps. According to Chase’s website, the claim will take about six to eight weeks to process.
American Airlines Hotel Voucher vs. Chase Sapphire Reserve Trip Delay Reimbursement
After the flight was canceled, American Airlines immediately issued hotel and taxi vouchers. The hotel covered one night’s stay and the taxi vouchers covered a ride to and from the airport and hotel. They also included a meal voucher worth $12 (redeemable at any restaurant or food establishment in the Dallas Airport).
I knew I could’ve received the hotel and taxi reimbursements from Chase Sapphire Reserve®, but decided it was easier to use the vouchers from American Airlines.
The only reason I used the vouchers from American Airlines was because I happened to be one of the first people in line at the counter when they announced the flight was canceled and began issuing vouchers. If I had been last in the massive line, I would’ve gone straight to the hotel and used the Chase Sapphire Reserve trip delay assistance.
Signs of a Solid Travel Credit Card
Having options is important to me when I travel, especially when there is panic and confusion at the gate. It was clear my fellow travelers had no idea what they were supposed to do or where they were supposed to go — don’t be one of these people!
Booking your trips with one of the best travel credit cards, like the Chase Sapphire Reserve®, gives you peace of mind. If you know what you’re supposed to do, you’ll stress less if things go terribly wrong.
Keep in mind that not every travel credit card offers the same kind of perks as the Chase Sapphire Reserve. For instance, the Chase Sapphire Preferred perks are also numerous but they don’t come with as many. You can see how the Chase Sapphire Reserve vs Chase Sapphire Preferred compare.
Based on how much traveling you do, be sure to compare and shop around to see what is covered in the event of a trip delay. For further information, check out our post on credit cards that offer trip delay insurance.
- 8 Steps You Should Take Immediately If Your Flight Is Delayed or Canceled
- Chase Sapphire Reserve Credit Score Needed
- What to Do: Weather Delays and Flight Cancellations
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.