This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
The Chase Sapphire travel credit cards (the Chase Sapphire Reserve® and the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card) have several recent benefit upgrades that can benefits applicants and existing cardholders. Here is a recap of the exciting Chase Sapphire updates, both some of the best Chase credit cards.
Chase Sapphire Updates
Here are some of the Chase Sapphire updates that have taken place.
Highest-Ever Sapphire Preferred Bonus Offer
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card currently has a 100,000 Ultimate Rewards signup bonus. You can earn the full 100k Ultimate Rewards bonus after spending $4,000 in the first 3 months. This bonus is worth up to $1,250 in award travel redemptions and Chase Pay Yourself Back redemptions.
This is the Sapphire Preferred’s highest signup bonus ever.
It’s also more valuable than the Chase Sapphire Reserve bonus offer of 60,000 Ultimate Rewards (after spending $4,000 in the first 3 months).
If you’re a previous Sapphire member, you can re-qualify for this bonus after meeting these two stipulations:
- Do not have another Sapphire card currently
- Have not earned any Sapphire signup bonus in the past 48 months
New Sapphire Preferred Rewards Categories
The Chase Sapphire Preferred purchases previously earned up to 2x points on all dining and travel. Now, you can earn up to 5 points per $1.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred earns unlimited:
- 5x points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards® (excluding hotel purchases that qualify for the $50 Anniversary Hotel Credit)
- 5x points on Lyft rides (through March 2022)
- 3x points on dining (including eligible delivery services, takeout, and dining out)
- 3x points on online grocery purchases (excluding Target®, Walmart®, and wholesale clubs)
- Also 3x points on select streaming services
- 2x points on all other travel purchases
- 1x point per $1 spent on all non-bonus purchases
Sapphire Preferred Anniversary Points Bonus
The Sapphire Preferred now offers a 10% anniversary points bonus for your annual purchases.
For example, your bonus is 5,000 points if you earn 50,000 Ultimate Rewards from the 5-3-2-1 bonus categories.
Despite this anniversary bonus and the additional benefit introductions, the Sapphire Preferred annual fee remains $95 for the primary card and $0 for authorized users.
Sapphire Preferred Hotel Night Credit
Another new perk for the Sapphire Preferred is an annual $50 hotel night credit.
Your first $50 in hotel bookings through Chase Ultimate Rewards are reimbursed but do not earn 5x points (similar to the Sapphire Reserve $300 annual travel credit).
It comes in the form of a statement credit that will automatically be applied to your account when your card is used for hotel accommodation purchases made through the Ultimate Rewards program, up to an annual maximum accumulation of $50.
New card members receive this bonus at card opening. Current cardmembers are eligible for this credit after their next card anniversary.
New Sapphire Reserve Rewards Categories
Chase Sapphire Reserve® purchases now earn up to 10x Ultimate Rewards. Cardholders can earn unlimited:
- 10x total points on hotels and car rentals purchases through Chase Ultimate Rewards (after the first $300 is spent on travel purchases annually)
- 10x total points on Chase Dining purchases with Ultimate Rewards
- 5x total points on flights when you purchase travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards (after the first $300 is spent on travel purchases annually)
- 3x points on other travel worldwide (after the first $300 is spent on travel purchases annually)
- 3x points on other dining at restaurants, including eligible delivery services, takeout, and dining out
- 1x points for all remaining purchases
Previously, all travel and dining purchases earned 3x points.
You will not receive rewards points on your first $300 in annual travel purchases as the annual travel statement credit reimburses these purchases.
Sapphire Reserve Airport Lounge Benefits
Chase Sapphire Reserve cardmembers will soon have access to a few more airport lounge locations.
The first locations for the Chase Sapphire Lounge by The Club network are:
- New York LaGuardia
- Boston Logan International
- Hong Kong
Tentative opening dates are currently unannounced.
You will also continue to get complimentary access to the Priority Pass airport lounge network.
Sapphire Reserve Luxury Dining Benefits
Later in 2021, the Chase Sapphire Reserve is launching its Reserved by Sapphire feature. Cardmembers can get exclusive reservations at luxury restaurants across the United States.
Aeroplan Ultimate Rewards Point Transfers
One of the other Chase Sapphire updates to know about is a new airline transfer partner. Air Canada is now a 1:1 Ultimate Rewards transfer partner. You can transfer Ultimate Rewards to Aeroplan in 1,000-point increments.
Aeroplan is the 14th Ultimate Rewards transfer partner. In addition to the Air Canada and Aeroplan award flights that offer flexible stopover award flights, you can book Star Alliance partner flights.
Both Chase Sapphire cards support point transfers.
Chase Pay Yourself Back Redemption Bonus
Through September 30, 2021, both Sapphire cards offer the 25% or 50% travel redemption bonus for other lifestyle purchases with the Chase Pay Yourself Back feature.
Qualifying purchases include:
- Grocery stores
- Home improvement stores
- Select charities
Just like your Ultimate Rewards can be worth 25% more with the Sapphire Preferred (50% more with the Sapphire Reserve) when booking award travel on Chase Ultimate Rewards, these qualifying purchases can qualify for a cash statement credit.
The Pay Yourself Back program launched during the pandemic to give Sapphire members a way to redeem their points for at-home, everyday purchases during the widespread travel bans.
Due to the popularity of the redemption option, Pay Yourself Back is a permanent feature for the foreseeable future, according to Chase.
However, the redemption categories may change starting October 1, 2021. Chase hasn’t announced the 4th quarter Pay Yourself Back categories yet.
Chase is also offering several limited-time partner benefits that expire at the end of 2021 or early 2022.
New applicants still have time to enjoy these benefits for each Sapphire product.
- DoorDash DashPass: Unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on $12+ orders for at least one year. Must activate by 12/31/2021.
- Peloton: Up to $60 back on Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021
- Lyft: Earn 5x points on Lyft rides through March 2022.
- DoorDash DashPass (Perk #1): Unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on $12+ orders for at least one year. Must activate by 12/31/2021.
- DoorDash DashPass (Perk #2): Up to $60 in statement credits through 12/31/2021
- Peloton: Up to $120 back on Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021
- Lyft (Perk #1): Earn 10x points on Lyft rides through March 2022.
- Lyft (Perk #2): Complimentary Lyft Pink membership for one year. Must activate by 3/31/2022.
The Lyft Pink benefits include 15% discounts on Lyft rides, priority airport pickups, and relaxed cancellations.
Other offers can be available for each card.
Travel Protection Benefits
The travel protection benefits remain intact for both cards. Other banks have been reducing travel and purchase protection benefits recently to make room for new benefits.
Your Sapphire Card can include these trip protection perks:
- Trip cancellation and interruption coverage
- Baggage delay insurance
- Trip delay reimbursement
- Primary auto rental collision damage waiver
- Emergency evacuation and transportation (Sapphire Reserve only)
The Sapphire Reserve has more extensive travel insurance benefits.
Many of these exciting Chase Sapphire updates can help you earn more points when you book travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. The additional travel benefits and points opportunities continue to make either card one of the best travel credit cards for local and international travel.
- The Chase Sapphire Preferred & Ink Business Preferred: Can You Have Both?
- Chase Sapphire Preferred vs Capital One Venture Credit Card Review
- The Chase Sapphire Reserve Credit Score Needed for Approval
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
- 1 Chase Sapphire Updates
- 2 Highest-Ever Sapphire Preferred Bonus Offer
- 3 New Sapphire Preferred Rewards Categories
- 4 Sapphire Preferred Anniversary Points Bonus
- 5 Sapphire Preferred Hotel Night Credit
- 6 New Sapphire Reserve Rewards Categories
- 7 Sapphire Reserve Airport Lounge Benefits
- 8 Sapphire Reserve Luxury Dining Benefits
- 9 Aeroplan Ultimate Rewards Point Transfers
- 10 Chase Pay Yourself Back Redemption Bonus
- 11 Partner Benefits
- 12 Travel Protection Benefits
- 13 Summary