This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
If you’ve been more aware of your carbon footprint and want to take steps to be a more eco-friendly traveler, you may be looking for a tool to calculate the carbon footprint of your air travel. Now, there is one!
TripIt App to Check Carbon Footprint
TripIt is an app that helps travelers travel smarter. Their app now has a feature that allows travelers to understand the environmental impact of air travel better. Within the app, individuals can learn the carbon footprint of upcoming and past flights.
They can also learn ways to reduce or offset the environmental impact. The best part is it’s an easy-to-use tool!
To use this tool, you’ll need first to download the TripIt app. It’s available for iOS and Android. This feature is accessible in both the free and pro versions so that anyone can use it.
There are two ways to access the Carbon Footprint feature. Within the app, click “Trips” and then select a specific flight. You will then be shown the carbon footprint for that flight.
You can also check out your annual carbon footprint for all air travel. Within the app, click “More.” Next, click “Travel Stats.” Finally, click “Carbon Footprint.” From here, you’ll be able to look at your annual summary.
It will show you your annual carbon footprint and show how many homes you could power with that energy. You’ll also be shown practical ways to reduce or offset the environmental impact of your air travel. For example, you can choose to book more direct flights.
This is an awesome educational tool. To summarize, TripIt’s Carbon Footprint feature will allow you to do the following:
- See each flight’s carbon emissions
- Keep track of your annual carbon footprint
- Learn how to offset and reduce your environmental impact
So, how do they calculate your carbon footprint? The app uses the Greenhouse Gas Protocol.
While it can be challenging to altogether avoid air travel, we can adjust how we travel by air and the types of flights we book. We can also choose other methods of transportation when visiting some destinations.
Final Thoughts To Check Carbon Footprint With An App
If you’re interested in finding ways to make more eco-friendly travel decisions and want to learn how to offset the environmental impact of air travel, this app is for you. You can easily keep track of your annual flight emissions and find some practical suggestions. With tools like this, we can be more aware and make more informed decisions when we book travel.
- How to Offset Carbon Emissions When You Fly
- Best Travel Credit Cards
- The Best Rewards Portal Comparison
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.