Each Friday, we feature a reader-submitted tip as our Travel Tip of the Day. This week’s reader tip comes from an anonymous reader, who shares another tip for anyone renting a car:
“Just wanted to add to a tip you had put up on rental cars and tires! We rented a car at Zurich airport and checked the car and gave the tires a quick look over. Never paying attention to the rims. When returning the car the attendant went straight for one tire and said the rim was damaged. Sure enough it had a scratch from a previous renter that they seemed to not fix and use to try to catch people again. In our case we had full insurance so we weren’t too worried.”
You should always look out for rental car agency tricks…especially when you’re renting a car overseas. Always document everything, including the status of the car’s rims, to make sure you’re not taken advantage of. Thanks for the tip!
Have you had a bad rental car experience?
Have you been taken advantage of by a rental car company? Or do you have a good tip to help avoid being taken advantage of? Please share in the comments below!
More tips for people renting a car
- This Is the Best Place to Find a Rental Car That I Know of
- Take a Moment to Learn How Your Rental Car Gas Tank Door Opens
- This Rental Car Company Will Waive the Under-25 Fee for AAA Members
- Keep Checking Rates After You’ve Booked a Rental Car
- Make Sure You Price Out Rental Cars at Off-Airport Locations
- Call the Rental Car Company Before Paying a Ticket
Have your own tip? Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,636!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Enter your email address and check “Daily Travel Tip” to receive Johnny’s best tips in your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check “Daily Travel Tip” on the same page. You’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.