Raising the Bar for Urban Latin Cuisine
Living in LA as long as I have, I forget that it is not normal for a four-year-old boy to confidently order Rad Na from a Thai waiter as my friend Charlie does. LA’s multi-cultural vibe does indeed permeate its food scene, leading me to believe that one of the best ways to experience our tourist-challenged town lies in focusing on its food, from haute cuisine to street vendors.
Nothing demonstrates the cultural cross-pollination of the LA dining experience better than the meal I had recently at Playa, John Sedlar’s Melrose area restaurant. Sedlar and his staff prepared a multi-course meal hosted by Milagro Tequila to introduce its newest offering, UNICO. Exquisitely refined Latin cooking with a Southwestern flair has been Sedlar’s calling card for over thirty years. Still, the tapas-style food he served incorporated Greek, Italian, French, Thai, Indian spices and technique without compromising its Latin roots.
While everything I tasted was excellent, here are a few standouts:
Kennebec Potato Chips with Salsa Verde: Why had I never thought to combine these two favorites? So simple, so perfectly prepared.
Spanish Piquillio Peppers stuffed with Gruyere, Golden Raisins and Chorizo: Sedlar’s take on the relleno.
Maize Cake Mediterranean: Lamb meatballs, yogurt, olives and feta wrapped in a homemade tortilla.
Thai Tamilli: Wherein corn masa and shrimp get introduced to some traditional Thai spices such as lemongrass, mint and ginger.
Did I mention that the plating of the food is almost as inventive as the food itself? That the cocktails are as creative as the food? That the people at the bar look like they are having as much fun as the people eating?
Just remember to bring a credit card with a big limit, for your appetite and your bill will be bigger than you expect. Prepare to be amazed.
For more information go to www.playarivera.com
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.