This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
In addition to being a traveler’s best friend when it comes to extra perks, several of the best travel credit cards are made of metal instead of plastic. Card issuers reserve the metal material for some of their best offers. Suprisingly, metal credit cards are actually not as hard to get as you may think. As one of the top rewards cards, many wonder if the Citi Premier® Card is metal like some of the competition. Let’s answer that question.
Which Citi Credit Cards Are Made of Metal?
Not to ruin the fun, but the Citi Premier is plastic.
To get a metal Citi credit card, you will need the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®. This card has a $450 annual fee and is good for American Airlines frequent flyers.
The Citi Prestige® Credit Card is also metal. Unfortunately, this premium credit card is no longer accepting new applications.
Despite not being made of metal, the Citi Prestige offers several perks, including:
- Earn up to 3x points on purchases
- Annual $100 hotel savings benefits (on one $500+ stay per year)
- 1:1 point transfers to airlines
- No foreign transaction fe s
New Citi Premier Card cardmembers can earn 60,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after spending $4,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening. The 60k bonus points are redeemable for $600 in gift cards when redeemed at thankyou.com.
This card has a $95 annual fee.
Related: Is the Citi Premier Worth It?
Citi Premier Metal Alternatives
Many metal credit cards currently have an annual fee of $250 or more, though some have an annual fee as low as $95.
Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
One exception is the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card. In addition to being made of metal, it has a $95 like the Citi Premier.
Some of the perks include:
- Earn up to 5x Ultimate Rewards on purchases
- 25% travel redemption bonus
- Up to $50 in annual hotel statement credits
- 1:1 airline and hotel point transfers
Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card
The information for the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
The Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card also has a metal construction and doesn’t have an annual fee.
However, you must be an Amazon Prime member to be eligible for this card.
Some of the card benefits include:
- 5% back at Amazon.com and Whole Foods
- 2% back at restaurants, gas stations, or drugstores
- 1% back on everything else
The Platinum Card from American Express
One of the most benefit-rich metal credit cards is The Platinum Card® from American Express. Some of the best benefits include earning 5x Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel, up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year. However, the annual fee is $695 (See Rates & Fees) but can be offset with the perks, which are valued at over $1,400.
Cardholders get access to several leading airport lounge networks. This is the best American Express card. The Amex Platinum metal card is also definitely one of the heaviest metal credit cards available.
Your Membership Rewards points can be most valuable when you transfer them to the 1:1 airline partners. Some of the partners include Delta, Aer Lingus, Emirates, and Singapore Airlines.
Note that The Platinum Card from American Express is hard to get but can be worth it for frequent travelers.
Learn more: Johnny Jet Recommended Credit Cards
In conclusion, the Citi Premier Card isn’t made of metal but is one of the best rewards credit cards because of its 3x bonus categories, annual $100 hotel savings benefit, and reasonable $95 annual fee. The benefit values can be worth more than the card weight and construction.
- 6 Different Types of Credit Cards: Which One is Best for You?
- Best Travel Credit Cards for Beginners
- American Express Gold vs. Citi Premier Card Comparison
For rates and fees of The Platinum Card® from American Express, please click here.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.