On Sunday, the New York Times published an interesting piece on a free app called Citizen (for iOS and Android) that’s been growing its user base quickly. The app uses a GPS-powered map to identify happenings, dangers and emergency incidents in your city by channeling active and recent 911 activity. As the Times writes, you show up on the Citizen map as a blue dot “surrounded by other, often larger dots, in red and yellow. Each represents an incident, either of the ‘Recent’ or ‘Trending’ variety, that has recently been reported in your proximity, and that may even be unfolding at the very moment.”
The app invites users to contribute details and even video when it is safe for them to do so, but at its core, the Times writes, “Citizen is essentially a transcription service for emergency radio. The company employs teams of people to listen to police, fire and emergency radio transmissions and to submit certain categories of incident for including in the app.” From a sample day in Midtown Manhattan, it provides these examples of alerts:
-PEDESTRIAN STRUCK BY CAB
-MAN ROBBED WOMAN OF WALLET
-REPORT OF FIREARM DISPLAYED IN SUBWAY STATION
-IRATE M.T.A. BUS DRIVERS DISPUTING
-TAXI ENGULFED IN FLAMES
So far, Citizen only serves the NYC metropolitan area, the San Francisco Bay metropolitan area, Baltimore, and Los Angeles. See the full story for much more on Citizen and the forces driving it.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.