Ever wish you knew the inside scoop before visiting a new destination? Now you can! We’ve reached out to our favorite locals and tour guides from all over the world for their insider tips. In the City Insider Q&A, they’ll let you in on the spots that should be on your must-see and -do list!
Name: Patricia Carminati
Occupation: Tour Guide
How the locals pronounce the name of the city: Lügan in the local dialect.
Online: guidesi.ch (and ticino.ch, Food and Wine Tour Lugano and excursions and tours, @ticinoturismo (Twitter), Ticino Turismo (Facebook), ticinoturismo (Instagram), Ticino Turismo (YouTube), Ticino Turismo (Google Plus)
Short bio: Hi! My name is Patricia, I live in Lugano and I love my city and my country! I am also a traveler and I like to enjoy places as locals do. In Ticino we have food, special weather, special places that you do not find in the north of Switzerland. To know how multicultural Switzerland is, you should cross the Alps and visit also the south! I started working as a guide in Patagonia. I love my job more than when I started! Helping visitors to enjoy my place like I do! There is always a new corner to discover and a new experience to live!
Best way to get to/from airport: Taxi or shuttle bus.
Best way to get to/from train station: Funicular from city center, by foot or taxi.
Favorite 5-star hotel: Villa Castagnola.
Favorite budget hotel: Elvezia Lago.
5 places visitors must see:
- Valley Bre
- San Salvatore Bellinzona
Best local newspaper/recommended reading (for finding out what’s going on about town): Get the latest brochures at Lugano Tourism Office.
Favorite fine dining restaurant: Il Bottegone del Vino and Antica Osteria del Porto.
Favorite casual restaurant: La Tinera and Tango.
Best place to get a coffee: Grand Café al Porto and La Dispensa.
Favorite bar/lounge: Ciani and Seven Lounge Bar.
Best music venue/place to see live music: LAC.
Favorite museum: LAC and Pinacoteca Zust.
Best sports venue(s): Lido di Lugano.
Most popular local food: Polenta e brasato (polenta is made of corn and brasato is beef cooked in local red wine.
Best “locals-only” spot: Aperitivo at Gabbani gourmet shop every Wednesday evening.
To live like a local, you must have this experience: Lunch or dinner in a grotto (typical Ticinese restaurant).
Local/native fruit or dish to try: Local special white merlot wine.
Most popular local drink: Wine or Mandarine Gazzosa soft drink.
Movies/TV shows filmed in your city: 007 Golden Eye. Opening scene with bungee-jumping. Verzasca is very close to Lugano.
Best souvenirs to buy/goods to bring home: Ceramic cup where locals drink wine called tazzin.
Best place to volunteer: Not really the destination to do volunteering.
Biggest tourist trap/places to avoid and when: Ticino is a FIT destination, so we don’t have tourist traps.
Best smartphone app(s) for your city: hikeTicino.
Best travel tip: Come during the working weekdays or in the shoulder seasons.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.