Ever wish you knew the inside scoop before visiting a new destination? Now you can! We’ve reached out to our favorite locals and tour guides from all over the world for their insider tips. In the City Insider Q&A, they’ll let you in on the spots that should be on your must-see and do list!
Website: Exceptional Kangaroo Island
Occupation: Senior Guide
Born in: Kangaroo Island, South Australia
Lives in: Kangaroo Island, South Australia
Short bio: A fourth generation Kangaroo Island resident, Rob Ellson grew up in the main town of Kingscote. He served as managing editor of the local newspaper, The Islander, for 11 years. Six years ago, Rob decided on a change of pace and started work as a tour guide. When he’s not showing people around his island home, he’s normally on the water, in the water or under the water . Rob enjoys fishing, windsurfing, sailing, water skiing and diving.
Ready to explore? Here’s Kangaroo Island, South Australia according to Rob Ellson:
Best way to the airport: Exceptional Kangaroo Island tour vehicle
Best way from the airport: Exceptional Kangaroo Island tour vehicle
Favorite 5 star hotel: Southern Ocean Lodge
Favorite budget hotel: KI Seaside Inn
Favorite fine dining restaurant: Restaurant Bella,Kingscote
Favorite casual restaurant: Penneshaw Hotel
Favorite cafe: Flinders Chase Cafe
Best museum: Kingscote National Trust Museum
Most popular local food: Anything seafood. There’s lots to choose from.
Best “locals only spot”: Pennington Bay
To live like a local, you must have this experience: Walk along a beach at sunset
Local fruit: Try the native berries
Local drink: Coopers Pale Ale for the boys, any one of the sauvignon blancs for the girls
Best souvenirs locals can buy: Kangaroo Island honey and eucalyptus oil
11 places visitors must see:
- Seal Bay Conservation Park
- Remarkable Rocks
- Admirals’ Arch
- Weirs Cove
- Hanson Bay
- Vivonne Bay
- Emu Bay
- Stokes Bay
- Lathami Conseration Park
- Grassdale Conservation Park
Biggest tourist trap: Doing a one day visit to the Island – it’s 100 miles long, you need two days minimum.
Best websites: Start with our website (Exceptional Kangaroo Island) and we have links to other great sites.
Best travel tip for your city: Let us do the driving. You will spend less time looking for things to do and more time doing them.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.