Ever wish you knew the inside scoop before visiting a new destination? Now you can! We’ve reached out to our favorite locals and tour guides from all over the world for their insider tips. In the City Insider Q&A, they’ll let you in on the spots that should be on your must-see and -do list!
Occupation: Tour Guide Extraordinaire
City: Sydney, Australia
Facebook: My Sydney Detour
Pinterest: Richard Graham
YouTube: Richard Graham
Short bio: My Sydney Detour is the city’s most unique private tour experience! Founded and run by entrepreneur and experienced guide Richard Graham, the Detour, as it has become known, is the only way to become a local in a day!
Best way to get to/from airport: Train
Best way to get to/from train station: Bus or taxi
Favorite 5-star hotel: 1888 Hotel, 139 Murray St, Pyrmont, NSW 2009
Favorite budget hotel: L’otel, Darlinghurst
5 places visitors must see:
- Dudley Page Park, Dover Heights
- Lavender Bay
- Royal Botanic Gardens
- White Rabbit Gallery, Chippendale
- Collins Beach, Manly
Best local newspaper/recommended reading (for finding out what’s going on/about town): Time Out magazine
Favorite fine dining restaurant: Sixpenny, 83 Percival Rd, Stanmore, NSW 2048
Favorite casual restaurant: The Eathouse Diner, Redfern
Best place to get a coffee: Café Ella, Darlington
Favorite bar/lounge: Blue Horizon Bar, Shangri-La Hotel
Best music venue/place to see live music: Camelot Lounge
Favorite museum: White Rabbit Gallery
Best sports venue(s): Parramatta Stadium
Most popular local food: Meat pie at Jeds Food Store in Bondi
Best “locals only spot”: Parsley Bay Reserve
To live like a local, you must have this experience: Wake up and have a flat white at a local café
Local/native fruit or dish to try: Lamington
Most popular local drink: A scooner of Calton Draft
Movies/TV shows filmed in your city: The Great Gatsby/Matrix
Best souvenirs to buy/ goods to bring home: Tim Tams
Biggest tourist trap/places to avoid and when: Eating at Darling Harbour
Best SmartPhone app(s) for your city: Time Out Sydney app
Best travel tip: Get off the beaten track and eat like a caveman!
Check out more from Richard and My Sydney Detour as featured in this piece from Condé Nast Traveler!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.