Known as one of Cleveland’s National Historic Landmarks with origins dating back as early as the late 1800s, The West Side Market tells a beautiful story of how the city’s first generation of immigrants, mostly of Eastern European descent, traded their native foods and spices.
It was officially dedicated in 1912 and has grown into the largest operating, public-owned market in the country. The market features over 180 booths with selections of fresh vegetables, meats, fruits, produce, and dairy.
I immediately sensed the vendors’ energy and excitement as they prepared for the hundreds of customers who would soon be meandering the aisles and negotiating prices. As I made my way through the market’s centerpiece- a yellow brick house with an interior concourse, I was hit with the intoxicating aromas of baked goods, cheese products and freshly cut flowers.
As you spend hours sampling foods and talking with friendly vendors of all ethnic backgrounds, it’s easy to understand the market’s historical relevance. At the turn of the century, it began as a haven for Cleveland’s first immigrant community to access and trade familiar foods from their countries of origin. Today, the tradition continues to serve the broader population with an authentic shopping experience; a transition that signifies the growth of the Cleveland community as a whole.
Tourists from all over the world (last year it was estimated more than one million people) visit the market every year with rising interest from television programs highlighting it, from the Travel Channel to the Food Network.
Word to the wise: come hungry, roam aimlessly, and leave happy.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.