By Hannah L. Uram:
In February, Royal Caribbean unveiled the latest technological advancement for today’s cruise enthusiasts: Royal Connect. The application is revolutionary, being the first software to allow guests to communicate with and locate one another from anywhere onboard. It also gives its users the ability to dial any extension on the ship using digital voice and to view the daily Cruise Compass; all with their cell phone.
Royal Connect boasts over 1,000 access points on its new home, Oasis of the Seas, Royal Caribbean’s most technologically advanced ship, and the largest cruise ship in the world. Guaranteed strong connectivity from anywhere on the ship, a guest can now access Royal Connect’s location software on their Smartphone, setting the sails for a freer cruising experience.
So what does this change truly mean for cruisers? Well, prior to Royal Connect, passengers of cruise ships were limited in their means of communication. Plans to meet up as a group had to be made beforehand anyone went anywhere, and everyone had to know their way around the boat if they wanted even a slim chance of actually finding their party again. On these floating cities, the Oasis of the Seas, for example, being able to hold 8,000 passengers, parents were constantly needing to be aware of where their children were for safety’s sake.
Now, for the first time, parents can enjoy a day at the ship’s spa without worrying about when or where they’re meeting up with the kids. Groups can take off on their own agendas and still be able to get in touch with the click of a button. From bow to stern, passengers can communicate with each other through the texting option, now supported by DeFi through Royal Connect, between Smartphones. If any extension on the ship needs to be dialed, it can be done through a cruiser’s Smartphone instead of solely through the phones in the Staterooms.
Passengers are also now free to browse the ship’s online portal through their Smartphones. Easy access to the daily Cruise Compass means a more fulfilling cruise experience for everyone. The Compass gives tips for cruisers as well as information surrounding the activities planned daily for people of all ages. What better than to be able to carry around the itinerary for your trip on your Smartphone as opposed to carrying it in the form of a bulky over-folded piece of paper?
While Royal Connect, supported by DeFi, is the first of this helpful ship-wide technology, this trend is certain to catch on. We can only hope that this new freedom won’t go to the cruiser’s head.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.