In Kona we checked into the Courtyard King Kamehameha’s Kona Beach Hotel which must be the World’s longest hotel name. Seriously. After staying at the Hilo Hawaiian Hotel this place felt like a Ritz-Carlton. Marriott did a nice job keeping the Hawaiian feel of this old building and making it one of their comfortable, clean hotels. Rooms have flat screen TVs and the lobby has local Hawaiian artwork and a full size outrigger canoe. There’s also one of Hawaii’s million ABC Stores (like 7Eleven but better) on the ground floor that sells bottled water for just 99 cents which is key as the tap water tastes nasty. Another huge plus of the hotel is its central location so you can walk to all kinds of shops and restaurants. There’s also a small beach out front but it didn’t look too enticing. Rates begin at $159.
Restaurants worth eating nearby are:
Kona Brewing Co.: I went for lunch and had a slice of pizza and local organic salad for $9.
Huggo’s: A scenic relaxing walk along the shore about a mile from the Courtyard is this excellent seaside restaurant. They opened in 1969 and continue to be a local favorite. Their specialty is fresh fish but their teriyaki steak is darn good.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.