This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
Now may seem like a strange time to apply for a new credit card. Many of us only apply for a new credit card when we can meet the signup bonus spending requirements. Because circumstances are not normal, however, several banks are extending signup bonus offers by three months to buy you more time. These card issuers are extending signup bonus requirements that might be appealing to you.
Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
Editor’s Note: Some of the offers below may have expired or are no longer available on our site.
American Express was the first bank to start extending the welcome bonuses.
Chase is currently extending signup bonuses for new accounts opened between January 1, 2020, and March 31, 2020, by three months. It appears this extension applies to personal and business credit cards. As most Chase credit cards have a 3-month spending window, you now have up to 6 months.
Like the infamous “5/24 application rule,” Chase isn’t publishing its extension policy.
Instead, various data points from other credible sites and testimonies from recent applicants confirm the policy. Chase is sending private emails to people with qualifying accounts.
If you’re not sure if you qualify for an extension, try sending a secure message to Chase. Most customer service phone lines have above-average wait times during this pandemic, so sending a message online or through the Chase app may be better.
As we don’t know if Chase will extend bonus offers for April and May applications yet, you might consider getting an American Express credit card first. If applying for a Chase credit card, apply with the anticipation of meeting the signup bonus spending window listed in the offer details when you apply.
Bank of America (Expired)
Bank of America has a 3-month extension policy similar to Chase. You have six months to meet the spending requirement for credit cards you open between January 1, 2020, and March 31, 2020. It remains unclear if this bonus extension applies to new accounts you open on April 1, 2020, or later.
Capital One is reportedly extending signup bonuses on a case-by-case basis. You will need to contact Capital One customer service to request an extension. It can be best to call two weeks before your bonus period ends as you and Cap One will have a better prediction on how much of an extension you may need.
Keep in mind that Capital One doesn’t guarantee an extension for any applicant. You should do everything possible to make a good faith effort to earn the bonus.
While the Capital One policy isn’t as generous as American Express, it’s possible to get an extension. Just note that most banks are not currently offering a signup bonus extension to the general public.
Best Credit Card Signup Bonus Extensions
Here are some of the cards you may focus on first thanks to the extended bonus period. Additionally, you may want to check some of the best limited-time credit card offers available.
The Platinum Card from American Express
The Platinum Card® from American Express has one of the most valuable welcome bonuses.
New cardmembers can earn 75,000 bonus Membership Rewards® Points after spending $5,000 on purchases in the first 6 months of account opening. Cardholders also earn 10x points on eligible purchases at U.S. gas stations and U.S. supermarkets, up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of card membership. Terms apply.
This card comes with many travel benefits you can enjoy when the skies re-open to air travel:
- Up to $200 airline fee credit annually as statement credits for incidental fees at one qualifying airline (enrollment required)
- Up to $200 in annual Uber savings for rides and eats in the U.S. (terms apply)
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck application fee credit
- Airport lounge access
- Automatic Hilton Honors Gold and Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status (enrollment required)
- 1:1 airline point transfers
- Terms apply
Earn 5x Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel, up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year. Cardholders also earn 5x points on prepaid hotels booked on American Express Travel.
The annual fee is $550 (See Rates & Fees), but these benefits can easily be worth a lot more.
Learn more: Johnny Jet Recommended Credit Cards
Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express is one of the best credit cards for grocery purchases and daily spend. As these are frequent purchases, especially in times like this, you will earn cash rewards.
You will earn up to 6% back on purchases with the Blue Cash Preferred Card:
- 6% back at U.S. supermarkets (on the first $6,000 per year then 1% back)
- 6% back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions
- 3% back on transit and U.S. gas stations
- 1% back on everything else
Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed as a statement credit. Also, Plan It gives cardholders the option to select purchases of $100 or more to split up into monthly payments with a fixed fee and no interest.
The 6% bonus categories make it easy to maximize your spending power.
The annual fee is $0 the first year, then $95 (See Rates & Fees).
The welcome offer is the ability to earn 20% back on Amazon.com purchases on the Card within the first 6 months of Card Membership, up to $200 back. Plus, earn $150 back after you spend $3,000 in purchases on the Card within the first 6 months of Card Membership. You will receive cash back in the form of statement credits.
Learn more: Cash Back Credit Cards
Ink Business Preferred Credit Card
One of the best small business credit cards to consider right now is the Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card. You have the chance to earn 100,000 bonus Chase Ultimate Rewards, but you must spend $15,000 in the first three months. This bonus is worth $1,250 in award travel you book on the Chase travel portal.
You will earn 3x Ultimate Rewards on the first $150,000 in combined annual purchases:
- Shipping purchases
- Internet, cable and phone services
- Social media and search engine advertising
Your points are worth 25% more when booking award travel on the Chase travel portal. You can also transfer them at a 1:1 ratio to airline and hotel partners, including United, Southwest, Avianca, British Airways, and Hyatt.
The annual fee is $95 for the primary card and $0 for each additional employee card.
Related: Best small business credit cards
Some banks are extending signup bonus requirements this spring, so you can still earn a signup bonus. We don’t know if banks will continue to offer extensions. Now can be an excellent time to get a bonus so you’re ready to book award travel again soon.
- Miles and Credit Card Perks Extended Due to Coronavirus
- Best Credit Cards for Eating At Home
- Coronavirus and Safe Shopping With Your Credit Card
For rates and fees of The Platinum Card® from American Express, please click here.
For rates and fees of The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express, please click here.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.