This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
Some of your friends may be aiming to eliminate all their credit card debt in 2020. Before you go and cut up all the plastic in your wallet, maybe consider how credit cards might be able to assist you in sticking to your New Year’s resolutions. Here are five credit cards that can help you do just that.
Credit Cards for New Year’s Resolutions
- The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
- Chase Slate Edge℠
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- The World Of Hyatt Credit Card
- Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card
Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
The information for the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
1. The Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express
Health goals are a big part of New Year’s resolutions. If you have a goal of eating healthier and spending less money on fast food and junk food this year, consider The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express.
It’ll earn you cash back (6%) at U.S. supermarkets, up to $6,000 per year (then 1%). The card also gives you 6% cash back on U.S. streaming subscriptions. If you’re in need of some Netflix or Hulu to watch while on the treadmill or your Peloton, you can get rewarded for that, too. The card comes with 3% cash back on transportation (trains, parking, tolls, rideshares, etc.) and at U.S. gas stations, and 1% cash back on everything else.
Cash back comes in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed as a statement credit. Additionally, Plan It gives cardholders the option to select purchases of $100 or more to split up into monthly payments with a fixed fee and no interest (terms apply).
It’s also one of the best credit cards for groceries. Just be aware that the rewards are only able to be earned at U.S. supermarkets.
There is a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95 (See Rates & Fees).
The welcome offer is the ability to earn 20% back on Amazon.com purchases on the Card within the first 6 months of Card Membership, up to $200 back. Plus, earn $150 back after you spend $3,000 in purchases on the Card within the first 6 months of Card Membership. You will receive cash back in the form of statement credits.
Learn more: Cash Back Credit Cards
2. Chase Slate Edge
The information for the Chase Slate Edge℠ has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
It’s definitely not a bad idea to reduce your debt if that is one of your New Year’s resolutions. However, doing so is much easier said than done. One card that can make it easier (yes, there is a credit card that can actually help you reduce your debt) is the Chase Slate Edge℠.
This card comes with a low intro balance transfer offer, so you can transfer balances from other cards that are potentially acquiring a lot of interest, to this card. Enjoy 0% Intro APR for 12 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 14.99 – 23.74%.
However, note that balance transfer may not be used to pay other credit cards or loans issued by Chase Bank (terms apply).
New Chase Slate Edge℠ cardholders can earn a $100 bonus on their statement when they spend $500 in their first six months from account opening.
The card also does not have an annual fee. You can learn more about this card in our Chase Slate Edge review.
3. Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
If your New Year’s resolution is to travel more this year, then signing up for one of the most favorited travel credit cards out there is a no-brainer. The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card is a top pick for those looking to earn points that can be used for travel.
While the Chase Sapphire Preferred card does come with a $95 annual fee, you’ll earn 2x points on travel spending and dining, and 1x points on everything else. Two new benefits include unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash’s subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
Cardholders can also earn 5x points on Lyft rides through March 2022.
Plus, the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal is well-liked for its ability to give you better deals on travel redemptions, whether you’re looking to redeem points for airfare, hotels or even cruises.
4. The World of Hyatt Credit Card
If you want to both travel more in 2020 and you’re looking out for your health, why not get a card that can help you do both? The World Of Hyatt Credit Card is one of the very few credit cards out there that allows you to earn points on a gym or fitness membership (2x World of Hyatt points for every eligible dollar spent). In addition, you’ll also get 9x World of Hyatt points when you book Hyatt stays as a World of Hyatt member.
On top of this, the card comes with 2x points for charges made at restaurants, on airline tickets purchased directly with the airlines, and on transit. This is one of the best credit cards for restaurants and dining.
The annual fee is $95. Cardholders also receive 1 free night at any category 1-4 Hyatt hotel or resort after their cardmember anniversary. One of the best credit cards for free hotel nights, know that Hyatt free nights start at 5,000 points.
You also have the opportunity to earn up to 60,000 bonus points as a signup bonus. Earn 30,000 Bonus Points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. Plus, earn 2 Bonus Points per $1 spent on purchases that earn 1 Bonus Point, up to $15,000, in the first 6 months of account opening.
Plus, there’s a limited-time offer available. Apply by 9/30/21 and upon approval, you’ll receive 2 Tier-Qualifying Night Credits for each night you stay from 8/16/21 through 12/31/21.
Learn more: Hotel Rewards Credit Cards
5. Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature
And for just about every New Year’s resolution you can think up, the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card can help you accomplish it.
Want to read more? Purchase your books on Amazon, where you’ll get 5% back on Amazon purchases with your eligible Prime Membership. Want to be healthier? Buy your food at Whole Foods, where you’ll also get 5% back with your eligible Prime Membership. Want to spend more quality time with the family? Purchase a board game, movie or just about anything else on Amazon to make it happen.
This card also comes with 2% back on restaurant, gas station and drug store purchases. Plus, there’s 1% back on all other purchases. The sign-up bonus is a $70 Amazon gift card that will be awarded upon approval.
Recap of Credit Cards for New Year’s Resolutions
Sticking to those New Year’s resolutions is much easier when you have the right tools to help you. Whether you’re looking to get healthy, read more, or travel, there are plenty of options to consider. Which one do you prefer?
Credit Cards for New Year’s Resolutions
- The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express – Supermarket and streaming services purchases
- Chase Slate Edge℠ – Reducing debt
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card – Travel more
- The World Of Hyatt Credit Card – Gym and fitness memberships
- Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card – Amazon and Whole Foods purchases
- Best Credit Cards for Online Shopping
- Best Travel Credit Cards for Beginners
- Chase Offers Free DoorDash DashPass
For rates and fees of The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express, please click here.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.