Here’s an interesting iOS-only app that a reader just tipped me off to. Karen T writes, “When I travel in the US (and especially when planning), I use an app called Crime and Place. I am typically travelling alone or w/ my daughter. Initially, I used it for hotel stays. It’s not too hard to figure out why one hotel of a particular brand might be cheaper than the same branded hotel a mile away when you see both locations on their map. Also, when traveling I can see my current surroundings, and even if in an urban area where I would expect crime to be higher, I can look at the Crime Compass and find the safest way (which isn’t always the shortest way). I am not someone who lives in fear. I love to travel the world. But an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I’ve been disappointed more than once when arriving at a hotel I expected to be in a safe area as a solo traveler only to realize that while a lovely hotel, the area was sketchy. I like to take full advantage of walking and eating like locals, so when I’m out walking I have this app open. It’s a no-brainer to use while traveling.”
The app costs $7.99 and it has a “Crime Compass” that allows users to quickly see their surroundings as they move. There’s also a map overlay that has a fully interactive heat map with GPS tracking and search capabilities. Notifications require background GPS use so keep in mind that if you keep it running, it will dramatically decrease battery life.
Important note: This app is not designed to provide any guarantee of safety. Read the License Agreement in its entirety before purchasing or installing this app.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.