Everybody identifies with somewhere, whether they’re blood or not. For me, it’s Croatia, a small country of just four million people in southeastern Europe. Eight years after my first visit I’m still asked, “Why?” The answer used to be long and drawn out, but today it’s because I just feel like I’m at home in this country. I feel as though I belong here.
My journey in Croatia began when I filmed my first travel show here in 2009 called WOW Croatia, which airs on AWE TV (DirecTV channel 387). After having zero expectations, I was blown away by the cuisine and landscapes, surprised everyone spoke English, and most taken by how warm and friendly the people were.
Through the years I returned more than 20 times, and a little over a year ago I decided to buy a place. I’ve filmed documentaries about the country that air worldwide and even learned the language (not an easy task). So what’s next? Doing business and living in Croatia has really allowed me to become an “expert” on the country. I receive countless emails and messages everyday from people around the world looking for the best sites and advice when planning their trips. This is why my summer project is creating Ashley Colburn’s Croatia Video Guides: three-minute videos that show you what you need to do throughout the various cities, counties and national parks of Croatia.
Each month I’ll share a new video with you here on JohnnyJet.com and hopefully inspire you to visit my new home. More information on how to travel here, what to pack, tips, and more will all be available on ashleycolburnscroatia.com very soon!
First up: Zagreb County
At the top of this post is my first video guide, on Zagreb County. The capital city of Zagreb is a must because it’s quaint, you can walk throughout the old town, and it has a really good vibe both day and night. However, there are small villages and towns in the surroundings that shouldn’t be overlooked, especially if you’re in the area. Wine roads, old wooden churches and long traditions run deep throughout Zagreb County.
To subscribe and see more videos, click here.
I’m also producing “Local Stories” about life on the Croatian coast. To subscribe here and see a new video every Thursday, click here.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.