Today’s tip draws from the sad story of two Kentucky women in December and offers a lesson or two in cruise preparedness.
The women were gifted a Caribbean cruise by friends, but when one of the women got sick on a stop in the Bahamas, she had to go to an emergency facility there. If that weren’t bad enough, the women were on Medicare, which doesn’t cover costs overseas, and so they had to foot a bill that included $2,000 cash up front. Worst of all, because they were unable to return to the cruise ship before it departed port, they were left in the Bahamas—with no passports, because the cruise had not required them of passengers (only birth certificates).
The lessons? You shouldn’t leave the country without a passport no matter what, and you should always consider getting travel insurance before you go. Here’s more on the insurance policy I travel with.
A video segment via ABC7 is below:
Have your own tip? Email it to email@example.com!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,360!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Just fill in your email address and check the Daily Travel Tip box—and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box on the same page and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.