Each Friday, we feature a reader-submitted tip as our Travel Tip of the Day. This week’s reader tip (on Valentine’s Day!) comes from reader Lois, who shares a cool ride service that lets you make stops to sightsee along the way:
“When I was was planning my European travel this summer with my husband and two kids, I was looking for an easy way to get from Lisbon to the Algarve (a three-hour drive) without having to rent a car or take a train or a small plane. With some Googling, I found a website: Daytrip, which hooked me because the reviews were good and frankly the branding gave me confidence (kind of how booking a home through Airbnb feels more real than dealing directly with a stranger).
“Daytrip is essentially a private driver/car service and a local expert all in one. Drivers who know the place really well. They’ll take you the long distances (from one country to another, or city to city), but also stop to see sights along the way (if one desires). I booked it easily online while making my travel plans and had the most lovely experience. I wish I’d known about them for my last trips to Italy and Ireland where driving a rental was extremely challenging (okay, terrifying).
“After my Portugal experience, Daytrip followed up with me to see how my trip was and I said it was so good that I wanted to do their PR. Now, I’m happy to report that Daytrip is a new client and I’ve found that it’s run by some very smart folks. I’ve learned that they are already in 65 countries and four continents and growing like crazy all over the world.”
I haven’t tried the service myself but it’s a great idea. And the reviews really are very good. Thanks for sharing, Lois!
Have you used Daytrip or a similar service?
Please share your experience in the comments below!
Have your own tip? Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,641!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Enter your email address and check “Daily Travel Tip” to receive Johnny’s best tips in your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check “Daily Travel Tip” on the same page. You’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.