Flying into or through London in the next two weeks? The city’s Heathrow and Gatwick airports—its two largest—will see marginally reduced traffic and likely delays as part of the London Terminal Control Centre’s transition to a digital air traffic control system. Specifically, the city’s controllers will begin using digital “strips” in place of the paper strips they’ve used for years (see video below).
As Sky News writes, “arrivals at Heathrow will be limited to 80% of maximum capacity for 10 days from [last] Wednesday – with average delays of 20 minutes expected. For the following 10 days, the airport will be limited to 90% of its maximum capacity. The NATS spokesperson added: ‘Travellers could be delayed by around 20 minutes on flights bound for Heathrow and Gatwick. There may also be minor delays into Stansted, Luton and London City. It will mainly affect arrivals at the two airports [Heathrow and Gatwick], although some take-offs [at Stansted, Luton and London City] may also be delayed.'”
For more on what the new technology is and how it works, see the video below (and the NATS blog here):
Have your own tip? Email it to email@example.com!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,171!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Just fill in your email address and check the Daily Travel Tip box—and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box on the same page and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.