One of my travel agent friends just forwarded this Delta Airlines email from there sales office to me. It might cause some concern for mileage junkies as they are going to start reducing credit on select “special fares” and accrual rates towards SkyMiles Medallion status.
In my opinion Delta already has the worst mileage program to redeem points since you can rarely find award tickets for the old standard of 25,000 (they are usually asking for 42,000) and they don’t offer deals on one-way award tickets.
Let me know if this announcement will deter you from buying package deals with Delta Airlines as the carrier and other special Delta fares. I know I won’t be.
(August 17, 2012) – Effective for tickets issued on or after September 1, 2012, Delta will adjust its policy for SkyMiles mileage accrual earned on select special fares which are often referred to as “unpublished fares.”
The select unpublished fares will no longer earn full mileage credit and instead will earn a modified mileage accrual rate for certain classes of service from select points of sale. This change aligns with mileage polices of our transatlantic joint venture partners.
Modified mileage accrual is effective for special fare-priced tickets issued on or after September 1, 2012 except tickets issued in the Asia Pacific region, which will continue to earn full mileage based on SkyMiles program rules.
For complete details, please click here.
Included and Excluded Unpublished Fares
Included “Unpublished fares” that will earn modified mileage credit are:
- Group fares
- Student fares
- Consolidator fares
- Flights included as part of a tour or cruise package
Excluded “Unpublished fares” that will continue to earn full mileage credit:
- Tickets purchased through Delta Vacations®
- Government and military fares
- Corporate fares
- Sport and University fares
- “Unpublished fares” purchased in the Asia Pacific region. (Refer to the Earning Miles with Special Fares page for a complete list of Asia Pacific locations.)
About Policy Implementation
- Effective for tickets purchased on or after September 1, 2012.
- Modified SkyMiles mileage accrual will be applied to tickets based on date of purchase (not travel date).
- Fare rules will reflect the modified mileage information.
- Unpublished fares, when ticketed, will be matched with an account’s ticket designator, resulting in the adjusted mileage accrual rate.
- SkyMiles Medallion member status will not be impacted by this change; however, the following restrictions will apply to unpublished fares:
- Mileage earned for flights on the select unpublished fares will accrue at the modified accrual rates. Click here to see details for accrual on unpublished fares.
- Class of Service Bonus and Medallion Tier Bonus will not apply on the select unpublished fares. To view Medallion Tier Bonus page, click here.
- Special and unpublished fare tickets will not be eligible for bonus miles or MQM promotions.
- Medallion Qualification Miles (MQM) earnings will be based on the class of service and will be capped at 100% for the select unpublished fares. To view Medallion Benefits Page, click here.
- SkyMiles and Flying Blue bonus award upgrades do not apply.
- Visit Mileage Credit Rules & Conditions for additional information.
Questions regarding groups may be directed to a Delta Group Representative at 1-800-532-4777 for Domestic travel and 1-800-337-4777 for International travel. The Delta Group and Specialty Sales Center is open Mon – Fri 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. EST.
Terms and Conditions
All SkyMiles program rules apply to SkyMiles program membership, miles, offers, mile accrual, mile redemption and travel benefits. To review the rules, please visit Membership Guide & Program Rules. These rules are subject to change at any time. Unless otherwise stated, the current rules in effect at the time of your travel, request for a benefit, or other transaction will govern that transaction.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.