I have to admit: I was happy to read recently that the Italians are cracking down on spot-saving tourists. This is one of my pet peeves when I travel and you find it happening on beaches all over the world (and at hotels and on cruise ships, too!). But it can really happen anywhere. What’s the issue?
Selfish travelers who get up super early to reserve the best beach chairs or spots on the beach by placing their towels down and maybe throwing a book on top for good measure. Then they go back to bed, get breakfast and sometimes even lunch and don’t return until they feel like it…all while that prime seat has remained unavailable to everyone else. There’s been many an occasion when I’ve wanted to sit and relax for 10 minutes before catching a flight and there’s been no good place vacant, even though there wasn’t anyone around. I’ve seen these “reserved” seats sit empty the whole day.
Don’t be rude, and practice what you should have learned in kindergarten: Share. Thankfully, officials in Italy have been slapping fines of up to $290 on offenders in a bid to deter beach competition. Now, hotels and cruise ships need to crack down as well.
Want even more travel tips? Subscribe to the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! All you have to do is sign up for the weekly newsletter by filling in your email address and checking the Daily Travel Tip box in the top-right corner of the homepage.
If you already subscribe to the newsletter, fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box in the same top-right corner of the homepage and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day. And don’t worry—it’s easier than it sounds!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 03/31/22.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.