Without a doubt one of my top 10 travel apps is Waze. I wrote about it back in 2013. Waze has revolutionized the way people get around. I even use it when I’m in a taxi to keep the driver honest, or to find out roughly when I’ll arrive at my destination.
However, one thing that I don’t like about Waze is that by default it provides the quickest route, even if it’s just by a few minutes and means taking a dozen side streets instead of a straight shot on a freeway. This happened to me last week when I was driving from Sausalito to Petaluma. Fortunately I knew my way around the area, so I checked Waze’s routes button (not easy to find as it’s at the bottom of the screen where the estimated arrival time is; click that, and then in the bottom left-hand corner you’ll find the “routes” button). The app will then pull up three route options for you to look over.
The next time Waze gives you all kinds of turns you don’t want to take, check the alternate routes. Even if a route takes a little more time, it could be a more relaxing ride and even a safer one (if it doesn’t take you through sketchy neighborhoods).
- Waze Carpool: A New, Cheap Way to Get Around
- 5 Survival Tips for Driving (and Not Getting Your Car Stolen) in Italy
Have your own tip? Email it to email@example.com!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,197!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Just fill in your email address and check the Daily Travel Tip box—and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box on the same page and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.