A travel writer I follow on Twitter (Dana Freeman) recently tweeted a Hawaii tip that got my attention:
— Dana Freeman (@DanaHFreeman) January 5, 2019
I checked out Shaka Guide since I was in Hawaii at the time, and although I haven’t used it yet I can see that it’s highly rated in both the iOS and Android stores, so I’d definitely consider it if I’m ever driving around one of the islands (I didn’t on that trip). Essentially, the Shaka Guide app uses GPS (it doesn’t need cell service to work) to guide you to interesting places as you drive the Hawaiian islands.
The app gives you the freedom to know where to stop and what to do without being on some long boring tour or stuck with a bunch of people you don’t want to be with. Guides start at $3.99 and are available for all four major islands (Oahu, Maui, Kauai, and the Big Island). The guides currently offered are:
- Circle Island Oahu Driving Tour
- South Shore Oahu Driving Tour
- Classic Road to Hana Driving Tour
- Loop Road to Hana Driving Tour
- Reverse Road to Hana Driving Tour
- Haleakala National Park Driving Tour
- North Shore Kauai Driving Tour
- Waimea & Na Pali Driving Tour
- Wailua Valley & Waterfalls Driving Tour
- Poipu & Koloa Town Driving Tour
- Volcanoes National Park Driving Tour
To give you an example, the last tour listed—the Volcanoes National Park Driving Tour—is three hours long with 86 narration points. It starts from either Hilo and Kona with directions to the National Park and takes you all the way to the end of the road in the park. On the way back, the tour continues on the return trip with interesting stories and Hawaiian volcano legends, covering both Crater Rim Drive and Chain of Craters Road (in both directions). Again, no cellphone data/service is needed as all the tours and maps work offline.
If you’re interested in the unique culture of Hawaii, give the Shaka Guide app a try. From Hawaiian legends and historical events to modern-day tales, you’ll love the stories the tours tell.
Have you tried Shaka Guide? Share your experience in the comments!
Have your own tip? Email it to email@example.com!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,368!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Just fill in your email address and check the Daily Travel Tip box—and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box on the same page and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.