A travel writer I follow on Twitter once tweeted a tip about Hawaii that got my attention:
— Dana Freeman (@DanaHFreeman) January 5
I checked out Shaka Guide, a Hawaii-based audio tour company, since I was in Hawaii at the time, and although I haven’t used it yet, I can see that it’s highly rated in both the iOS and Android stores, so I’d definitely consider it if I’m ever driving around one of the islands. Essentially, the Shaka Guide app uses GPS (it doesn’t need cell service to work) to guide you to interesting places as you drive.
They’ve just released six new tours in Utah. These are the first mainland U.S. tours for the company. The tours are available on Shaka Guide’s new mobile app, which features all its tours – 27 self-guided excursions across Hawaii and Utah.
Individually, each tour costs $9.99. The tours are also available as bundles for anyone spending multiple days exploring Utah’s Mighty 5 and the surrounding area. There are three bundles to choose from:
Zion, Bryce and Capitol Reef – get all three tours for $19.99
Arches, Canyonlands, Moab – get the Arches, Canyonlands and La Sal tours for $19.99
Utah & Mighty 5 Collection – get all six tours for $29.99
Currently, the tour bundles are 50% off on Shaka Guide’s website. Learn more about the tour bundles and save here.
The app gives you the freedom to know where to stop and what to do without being on a long, boring tour or stuck with a bunch of people you don’t want to be with.
Guides are available for all four major Hawaiian islands: Oahu, Maui, Kauai, and the Big Island. The guides currently offered are:
- Grand Circle Island Tour
- Legendary North Shore Loop
- East Oahu Shoreline Drive
- Honolulu’s Backyard Rainforest Tour
- Classic Road to Hana Tour
- Loop Road to Hana Tour
- Reverse Road to Hana Tour
- Sunrise at Haleakala National Park Tour
- Sunset and Stargazing Haleakala Tour
- West Maui Coastline Tour
- North Shore Kauai Driving Tour
- Waimea & Na Pali Driving Tour
- Wailua Valley and Waterfalls Tour
- Poipu and Koloa Town Driving Tour
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Tour
- North Island Jungle Adventure Loop
- South Island Epic Coastal Journey
- Kona Big Kahuna Tour
- Kohala Coast Backcountry Tour
To give you an example of how it works, the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Tour is four to six hours long with 45 narration points. It starts from either Hilo and Kona with directions to the National Park and takes you all the way to the end of the road in the park. On the way back, the tour continues on the return trip with interesting stories and Hawaiian volcano legends, covering both Crater Rim Drive and Chain of Craters Road (in both directions). Again, no cellphone data/service is needed as all the tours and maps work offline.
So if you’re traveling through Hawaii or Utah, you’ll want to download the Shaka app. Keep an eye on them for other destinations as it looks like they might be expanding. In the meantime, also check out HearHere, an app developed by Kevin Costner, that tells travelers the stories of the people, places and histories of the land they’re traveling through, presented in a travel podcast format. Check it out here.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.