In Europe, history is around every corner, just waiting to be discovered! If you’re a history buff, you’ll love cruising along Europe’s rivers and feeling the past come to life all around you. Vantage Travel offers all kinds of river cruises, appealing to all kinds of travelers with varying interests (like music, photography and food to name a few) but for history-lovers especially, these three cruises are sure to appeal. Not only does each cruise dock in ports that are rich with beauty and historical significance, but guests can expect to learn so much on board the ship as well during the variety of lectures that are offered.
Here’s a closer look at three Vantage Travel river cruises that are perfect for people who love history:
France Culinary Delights: Paris to Normandy
If the thought of eating your way through France sounds incredible (and I can’t think why it wouldn’t!), then you’ll want to check out this river cruise! But besides the good eats and culinary delights you’ll experience along the way, this is a journey that history lovers will truly appreciate. Starting in Conflans and making your way to Vernon, Caudebec-en-Caux, Honfleur, the D-Day Beaches of Normandy, Le Havre, Rouen, Les Andelys and finally Paris, this itinerary is jam-packed with historical sites to see and there’s so much to learn. For instance, in Conflans, you can follow in the footsteps of Van Gogh and visit the scenes he painted during the last months of his life, as well as his humble grave site. You’ll visit the D-Day Beaches of Normandy as well as drive to Colleville-sur-Mer, a coastal village that is home to the Normandy American Cemetery & Memorial, where nearly 10,000 soldiers are buried. To learn more, you can visit the Caen Peace Memorial, which some say is the best World War II museum in France.
Switzerland and the Heart of the Rhine and Moselle
Sail the Rhine and Moselle rivers on this spectacularly beautiful journey and take in the heritage of the region. This river cruise itinerary starts in Amsterdam and travels to Cologne, Cochem, Schweich, Bernkastel, Boppard, Mainz, Speyer, Strasbourg, Breisach and ends in Basel. Guests will get to see five different UNESCO World Heritage Sites including the Grand Ile, the island in the heat of Strasbourg, the 17th century canal ring in Amsterdam and Roman ruins in Trier. And from cathedrals, like the 11th century cathedral in Speyer, which was once one of the largest cathedrals in the world, to a 1000-year-old castle in Cochem, this journey is just oozing with history to be experienced!
Majestic Rivers of Europe: Castles, Cathedrals and Fairy Tales
This cruise takes passengers on an unforgettable journey along the Rhine, Main and Danube rivers, visiting Austria, Germany and Hungary. But for history buffs, this itinerary is especially enticing, featuring lots of opportunity to experience and learn about Europe’s rich past. On this trip, guests will visit nine UNESCO World Heritage Sites including the Fishermen’s Bastion in Budapest, known for its stunning panoramic views and the enormous Würzburg Residenz. This itinerary also takes passengers through Nuremberg to learn more about the history and significance of this city, both before and after World War II. In Vienna, explore the city’s historic city center as well as beautiful Schönbrunn Palace and in the Wachau Valley and Rhine Gorge, take in the view of hilltop castles and quaint villages that look like they’re straight out of a fairy tale book.
Ready to plan your trip? Download Vantage Travel’s eTravel Guides for information on cruise deals and cruise planning that will help you choose the cruise that’s right for you!
WIN A RIVER CRUISE Ready to hop on a river cruise? You could win a free deluxe river cruise for you and a friend with a value of up to $10,000! You’ll enjoy the rivers, culture and cuisine of Europe on an unforgettable trip. Click here for full sweepstakes details, terms and conditions. Good luck!
This is a sponsored post but all opinions expressed within are my own.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.