This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
If you were to stumble upon any photos of me from the ’90s you’d most likely see me wearing a fanny pack. That’s because I used to carry around multiple inhalers, a thick wallet, keys, a mini flashlight, a camera, money, a cell phone, lip balm and who knows what else. I know it looked ridiculous but it really made carrying all my stuff so much easier and safer. And they were sort of in style back then.
Then fanny packs became a major fashion faux pas but thankfully, they’re back, also known as belt bags, my wife tells me. But whether they’re in style or not, they’re definitely a handy accessory for travelers, whether you’re traveling abroad, going out on a day trip or just spending the day at the beach.
Since we live near the beach, we go often. We usually hang out on a safe beach but you just never know so we never leave our valuables in the backpack we bring with the kids’ change of clothes, sunscreen, drinks, snacks, etc. When we’re away from our stuff, playing by the shoreline, walking or frolicking in the water, we put all of our valuables like money, phones and keys into a fanny pack like the one pictured above. That way, you can step away from your beach towel and umbrella and not worry about valuables left behind.
I’m no expert on what’s stylish and what’s not but my wife recommends this fanny pack (or belt bag), which you can wear around your waist or cross-body. It comes in lots of colors and is durable. You can check out other fanny pack options here.
More Ways to Keep Your Stuff Safe at the Beach
I’ve written about keeping your stuff safe at the beach multiple times. There’s this idea that will really deter would-be thieves as well as this one, which I wrote about a couple of weeks ago, about a popular beach/pool safe that was featured on SharkTank. But I still prefer keeping my valuables (i.e. car key, phone, wallet…) with me on my person.
However, if I was alone on a crowded beach and couldn’t find anyone to watch my stuff, I would use a wearable waterproof pouch.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.