In an age of booming tourism around the world, many destinations have seen the downside of the boom in the form of damage to their natural landscapes. In the Faroe Islands, where the stunning, rugged natural landscapes are expected to welcome exponentially larger crowds in the years ahead, a new initiative prioritizes the environment in a novelly tourist-friendly way.
The initiative—called “Closed for Maintenance, Open for Voluntourism“—is detailed in the video above, but here are the basics, from the source: “Over the weekend of 26-27 April, major tourism sights in the Faroe Islands will be closed for regular tourists but open for everyone who wishes to help maintain them. In return for a helping hand, volunteers will be gifted both accommodation and food over the three-night maintenance period by the Faroese nation.”
Anyone can register to participate. So long as you’re one of the first 100 to do so, you’ll be confirmed via email as supplied with what’s written above: three nights accommodation, food (including a celebratory feast on the final night), and transport within the Faroe Islands. You’ll have to pay your way to and from Copenhagen, and then between Copenhagen and Faroes in both directions (a special rate of approximately €280/$320 roundtrip has been arranged from Copenhagen to the Faroe Islands on April 25 and back on April 28), but once there, the experience is sure to be a special one. See more—and register—here!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.