In an age of booming tourism around the world, many destinations have seen the downside of the boom in the form of damage to their natural landscapes. In the Faroe Islands, where the stunning, rugged natural landscapes are expected to welcome exponentially larger crowds in the years ahead, a new initiative prioritizes the environment in a novelly tourist-friendly way.
The initiative—called “Closed for Maintenance, Open for Voluntourism“—is detailed in the video above, but here are the basics, from the source: “Over the weekend of 26-27 April, major tourism sights in the Faroe Islands will be closed for regular tourists but open for everyone who wishes to help maintain them. In return for a helping hand, volunteers will be gifted both accommodation and food over the three-night maintenance period by the Faroese nation.”
Anyone can register to participate. So long as you’re one of the first 100 to do so, you’ll be confirmed via email as supplied with what’s written above: three nights accommodation, food (including a celebratory feast on the final night), and transport within the Faroe Islands. You’ll have to pay your way to and from Copenhagen, and then between Copenhagen and Faroes in both directions (a special rate of approximately €280/$320 roundtrip has been arranged from Copenhagen to the Faroe Islands on April 25 and back on April 28), but once there, the experience is sure to be a special one. See more—and register—here!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.