Need to renew your passport? You can choose to do it by mail or in person at an official passport agency, like a U.S. post office. More info is available on this dedicated State Department page.
If you choose to do it in person, you should know that the fee for that service—called an execution fee—is set to increase. As reported by TravelPulse, on April 2, 2018, the execution fee will jump from $25 to $35. The total price of an in-person passport renewal will from that date forward be $145 for adults and $115 for children 16 and younger.
As to why: “According to the Department of State, passport execution fees are set at a rate that will allow for the ‘recovery of the costs to the U.S. government of providing the consular service.’ But two recent studies, one conducted by the Department of State and another by the U.S. Postal Service, determined that actual processing costs are now higher than the $25 fee, prompting the increase.”
Related: Bring an Expired Passport
Have your own tip? Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,131!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Just fill in your email address and check the Daily Travel Tip box—and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box on the same page and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.