Over the weekend, I spoke at the Los Angeles Travel & Adventure Show. After my presentation, someone came up and asked, “What’s the best place for Americans to live internationally for cheap?” I told them I wasn’t quite sure but I know Mexico and Thailand are popular. A day later, I was reading the Los Angeles Times and lo and behold there was a story from one of my friends (Jen Leo) titled “Dreaming of the expat life? Here’s a cost-of-living calculator that can help make it happen.” How fortuitous was that?
As Jen says, “Earth Awaits website helps you get a financial picture for what the amount of money it would take to live abroad. Indicate your monthly budget, family size, accommodation size and location, your economic style of living (Very Lean, Lean, Modest, Ample, Opulent), drive rate and pollution preference, and the Earth Awaits will suggest destinations around the globe.”
The site tracks tons of information for over 600 cities around the world. It will give you a general cost breakdown but if you want increased data, monthly memberships range from free to $6 a month or $48 annually.
I priced out what $3,500 a month would get me with an opulent lifestyle and low crime and found several places around the world. It even listed the broadband speed, which you know is very important. Give it a whirl and let me know in the comments where you would like to live!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.