This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
If you get my daily travel tip (you can sign up here) then you’ve seen the domino effect of my travel tips lately. The first travel tip, 3 Reasons to Always Get Two Hotel Room Keys, led to The Truth About Hotel Room Key Cards, which led to Why You Should Keep Your Airline Boarding Passes and What You Should Do With Them.
Then came Tuesday’s tip, This Simple Trick You’ve Probably Never Thought of Can Help to Keep You (And Your Stuff) Safe. And this led to yet another great bit of advice: Do This When Using a Rideshare, Taxi or Car Service.
Then a reader asked me how to keep their belongings safe at the beach. It’s easy when you’re with someone else, so you can take turns swimming, and one person can always keep an eye on the valuables. However, if you’re alone or if you want to swim together, this diaper trick will help, as will this tip I filmed while on Waikiki Beach.
But here’s a gadget that was just sent to me by some guys who were on Shark Tank. They invented a portable travel safe after getting robbed while swimming at a hotel in South Beach. In an email to me, the owner said, “It was at that moment, the light bulb went off to invent the solution. As you know, people are robbed while going for a swim very often at beaches and pools around the world and with cell phone prices steadily increasing, it’s becoming more of a concern. We decided to create a solution so that people can finally enjoy the peace of mind that has always been missing.”
The FlexSafe by AquaVault is a portable safe that attaches to lounge chairs to secure your valuables. It’s available on Amazon and is cut-resistant, RFID-blocking and has a locking flap so there are no cords to easily snip through. There’s also a motion alarm, solar charger, jewelry pouch and attachment straps. It’s flexible and water resistant. It’s definitely a unique option and will either deter thieves altogether or make it much, much more difficult for them to be successful. The reviews on Amazon are a mixed bag but it’s definitely sturdy and I didn’t have any problems with it.
FYI: Aquavault also makes a nifty device called the Chargecard, which is handy for travelers – especially those who struggle with space and keeping their devices charged.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.