A couple of weeks ago I was cruising through Toronto Pearson airport (YYZ) chasing my two-year-old when the sign above caught my eye. I quickly snapped a pic so I would remember to look into it on the plane, which I did. Sure enough, CanBorder – eDeclaration is a must-download for Canadian citizens and all of those visiting Canada. It’s basically the country’s version of the U.S.’s Mobile Passport app, which I wrote about here.
The Canadians are improving their border experience, and this app is the latest step in that effort. Travelers no longer need to scramble to handwrite a declaration card upon landing; instead, they can use kiosks (at least at YYZ). And now, for an even faster experience at the Canadian border, they can download the free CanBorder – eDeclaration mobile app for Android, iOS and Blackberry (in true Canadian fashion).
With it, you can:
- Create and store traveler profiles.
- Prepare your declaration in advance and generate a quick response (QR) code.
- Upon arrival, immediately scan your QR code at a Primary Inspection Kiosk. Do not select a language. For easy QR code scanning, follow the on-screen instructions on the kiosk.
Here’s who can use it:
- Most travelers arriving in Canada by air, including returning residents and all foreign nationals visiting Canada.
- Ineligible travelers include unaccompanied minors and travelers with non-machine readable travel documents.
eDeclaration can only be used at Canadian airports where Primary Inspection Kiosks are available. Here’s the list of eligible ports so far:
- Winnipeg Richardson International Airport (YWG)
- Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport (YTZ)
- Québec City Jean Lesage International Airport (YQB)
- Montreal-Trudeau International Airport (YUL)
- Halifax Stanfield International Airport (YHZ)
- Edmonton International Airport (YEG)
- Terminal 3 – Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ)
- Vancouver International Airport (YVR)
- Ottawa International Airport (YOW)
Have you tried it? I use NEXUS, and I can’t imagine this would be quicker as I currently zip through Canadian Immigration using it.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.