I just returned from New York City, where I took the subway a couple of times from Manhattan to Brooklyn. One of my local friends suggested I download NextStop to find out when the trains would arrive so I didn’t have to sit on the hot platform waiting (believe it or not it was 91ºF on Thursday, which was a record for May 3). After doing some research I learned that NextStop costs $2.99 and isn’t highly rated, and in its comments section users were raving about New York Subway MTA Map.
Created by Mapway, New York Subway MTA Map is free for iOS and Android, has a rating of 4.5 stars on 20,000 reviews, and uses the official MTA subway map. The app offers train times and an easy-to-use transit route planner to get you from A to B on the subway in all five NYC boroughs: Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, and Staten Island. It works offline for help even without an internet connection, and it has service status direct from MTA to inform you of delays via alerts sent straight to your phone. My favorite function of the app (besides it being free) is that it has countdown clocks for each subway station so you know when the next train is due, which means much less waiting around in a hot (or cold) or lonely station.
If you’re visiting New York City for the first time, there’s also a handy guide in the app filled with helpful travel tips and information.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.