This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
Are you waiting until the last minute to book a hotel room? In this case, good things can come to those who wait. You can get 5% back on the first $2,500 in bookings this March with the Chase Freedom hotel bonus. This can be a great opportunity to book your summer or spring travel plans.
The information for the Chase Freedom has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Editor’s Note: Some of the offers below may have expired or are no longer available on our site.
Chase Freedom Hotel Bonus Details
It can be easy to earn 5% back with this bonus offer by staying at many hotel brands. Even better, you don’t need to complete your stay by a specific date (but you do have to book in March). However, not every hotel booking qualifies.
What Chase Credit Cards Qualify?
This limited-time hotel bonus applies to the Chase Freedom®. Hotel bookings typically only earn the base award rate of 1% back (1 Ultimate Reward per $1).
The other Chase credit cards that earn Ultimate Rewards will continue to earn their standard rate for hotel bookings. That’s 3x Ultimate Rewards for the Chase Sapphire Reserve® after earning the $300 travel credit (the Reserve is also one of the best credit cards for first class travel).
Or, earn 2x Ultimate Rewards on travel and dining automatically with the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card.
What Hotel Bookings Qualify?
The 5% cash hotel bonus only applies to bookings made on the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal. As Expedia operates the Chase travel portal, you won’t have a problem finding a place to stay.
You earn 5% back on the first $2,500 on hotel bookings made on the Chase travel portal in March 2020. After you reach the $2,500 spending cap (or the promotion ends), you earn the standard 1% back.
You can earn up to $125 cash back ($25 standard cash and $100 bonus cash) on your first $2,500 in qualifying bookings. You don’t need to complete your stay by a certain date to earn the bonus cash.
If you have a Chase Sapphire or Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card, you can transfer your Ultimate Rewards points to that account.
This Chase credit card combination lets you earn the most points possible during this bonus period. Then, you can get an above-average redemption bonus with the Sapphire travel redemption bonus or 1:1 point transfers.
The Following Hotel Bookings Won’t Earn 5% Back
Bookings made directly through the hotel or another booking site–like Hotels.com–will earn the standard 1% back. All other travel booked on the Chase travel portal only earns 1% back with Chase Freedom.
Also, hotel bookings made after 11:59 pm Eastern Standard Time on March 31, 2020, on the Chase travel portal revert to the standard 1% rate.
Chase Freedom Quarterly Bonus Categories
This bonus offer is in addition to the standard quarterly Chase bonus categories. So, you can essentially earn 5% back on $4,000 in bonus purchases for the 1st quarter of 2020 (January-March).
The Freedom already earns 5% back on the first $1,500 in combined spending for select purchases each quarter. The bonus categories for the January, February, and March 2020 are:
- Gas stations
- Internet, phone, and cable services
- Select streaming services
All non-bonus spending earn an unlimited 1% back.
The other quarterly bonus categories will focus on seasonal spending. The spring bonus categories will release in mid-March 2020. You can opt-in to the new categories starting March 15, 2020.
Related: Best Chase Credit Cards
$200 Signup Bonus
If you don’t own the Chase Freedom yet, you can earn a $200 signup bonus in addition to the Chase Freedom hotel bonus, the recurring 5% quarterly categories, and the standard 1% back on non-bonus purchases.
You earn the bonus cash by making $500 in card purchases during the first 3 months.
Redeeming Chase Freedom Rewards
Your Ultimate Rewards are worth 1 cent each when redeemed for these rewards:
- Cash rewards
- Award travel booked on the Chase travel portal
- Gift card
If you prefer to redeem your credit card points for travel rewards, your best option can be transferring them to a Chase Sapphire Preferred or a Chase Sapphire Reserve. One exclusive redemption option for these two cards is transferring your points at a 1:1 ratio to airlines and hotels.
Some of the best airline and hotel partners are United Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Emirates, British Airways, and World of Hyatt.
You might prefer the convenience of redeeming your points directly through the Chase travel portal. If so, each point is worth 1.25 cents with the Sapphire Preferred and 1.5 cents each with the Sapphire Reserve for award travel bookings.
Summary of the Chase Freedom Hotel Bonus
This Chase Freedom hotel bonus is one of the best ways to earn bonus Ultimate Rewards. Being able to spend up to $2,500 can be enough spending power for your entire trip (or several trips). Make sure you book through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal before April arrives to get 5% back.
- 4 Easy Ways I Earned 200,000 Chase Sapphire Reserve Points in a Year
- Comparing the Chase Freedom and Freedom Unlimited Credit Cards
- Chase Sapphire Preferred or Chase Freedom Rewards?
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.